Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Whether the IRS knows about your vehicle sale or not, you have the obligation to report all income on your tax return.

You cannot net losses against gains on the sale of the vehicles, since they will be considered personal property. Losses on the sale of personal property are not deductible -- period.

Of course, you could start a "business" of selling used vehicles. You could then net your gains and losses -- but, the net gain would be taxable as ordinary income, subject to self-employment taxes, as well as income tax.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.