Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Berger1000 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8139  
Subject: Which 529 Account for Niece? (Long) Date: 7/11/2001 2:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am an Ohio resident and trying to decide which 529 account to open for my niece. The CollegeAdvantage Plan offered in Ohio is rated highly (5 of 5 caps) by the www.savingforcollege.com website. The OH plan even allows for a $2000 tax deduction from state taxes (roughly 5-6%). However, I have one problem with it: annual fees.

I am looking to contribute around $50 2-3 times per year for each of my nieces and nephews (currently only 1 niece, expect more to come in the future). The annual fee for the Ohio plan is $25 per year UNLESS the account value exceeds $25,000 (not an option) OR a fixed minimum of $50.00 is contributed monthly (maybe an option, see below). An annual fee on such a small amount of capital would destroy any chance for a decent return (or any positive return, for that matter).

My priorities in opening such an account (or similar savings vehicle) are to provide some financial help to my nieces and nephews. My priorities are (1) an easy to manage account, (2) low annual fees, (3) a decent return on investment, (4) account allowing infrequent contributions, (5) low account balance in initial years, (6) ideally option to invest in an index fund (track S&P 500).

Please provide comments or advice on the following options:

A. Open a 529 account in another state (please suggest a state that meets my goals if you know one)

B. Open a 529 account in OH and make a $50 monthly contribution to avoid the annual fee. Take advantage of the OH tax deduction and split the account among my future children and my nieces and nephews at some point in the future. Some accounting on my part would be necessary to split the account in my desired proportions. (I don't know if this is even possible, please comment as to whether this is even available).

C. Forget about a 529 account and just provide my nieces and nephews with US gov't bonds or the equivalent. (Wait to use a 529 account on my own children)

D. Other (please explain)

Thanks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: bobw0 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4038 of 8139
Subject: Re: Which 529 Account for Niece? (Long) Date: 7/12/2001 7:33 AM
Recommendations: 0
Personally, I would recommend:
B. Open a 529 account in OH and make a $50 monthly contribution to avoid the annual fee. Take advantage of the OH tax deduction and split the account among my future children and my nieces and nephews at some point in the future.
You get a roughly 6% Ohio income tax deduction on the $600 (12x50).
You might also be able to change beneficiaries from them up and over to your own kids, which may make you want to contribute even more if you are planning to have kids some day. I say "up and over" because as I recall you may need to change the bene from them to their parents, and then to you, then to your kids, in direct links.
You also might pose the question on the savingforcollege discussion board.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement