UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: maniladad Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41627  
Subject: Which BMW chart? Date: 8/27/2012 10:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Thanks to Mike Klein's wonderful collection of CAGR charts I have the option to look at more potential BMW Method companies than I have time to evaluate. One thing that is striking to me is the phenomenon of the different time scales giving very different results. For a number of companies, the pattern on the 30-year history is movement around the mean CAGR up until about 2008, followed by a horizontal path along the logarithmic chart, or down for the standard chart, until it intersects the present time at -2 to -3 RMS, with a Return Factor of maybe 1.5 up to 2.5. That's when my pupils dilate, my heart rate increases and my breathing gets a little faster and shallower. Then I go back to the 20-year history chart and see the stock price tracking close to the mean CAGR or even above it, with fractional return factors or at best very slightly positive ones: Thud. I think BEAM was the first stock that I saw this with but there have been a number of them since.
Two exceptions, TEVA and ETR, have consistent patterns for charts of all durations. Although both have some significant drawbacks I've bought TEVA and have an order in for ETR. Although BMW's original time frame was 30 years, with so many companies to evaluate I haven't been willing to bid for one that doesn't really meet BMW Method criteria for shorter time periods.
Other than, "Due diligence", does anyone want to comment on this observation?
D
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement