UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ActorFool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76384  
Subject: Which Index Fund Is Best For Me? Date: 3/13/1998 12:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Up until now my IRA has been made up of a bunch of low risk, relatively low interest CD's. However, after reading You Have More Than You Think, I'm ready to take a more aggressive approach. I'm only 30 so I still have at least 30 years for the account to grow. I'm leaning towards some sort of index fund but the question is which one. There seem to be so many out there and, when I randomly pick one just to examine, the information in the prospectus is overwhelming. I have no clue what I'm supposed to be looking for. Seems that this is all a little harder to do than the book describes.

Is an index fund the right choice for me and, if so, where do I start? Please help.

Just Acting Foolish,
Actor Fool
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2188 of 76384
Subject: Re: Which Index Fund Is Best For Me? Date: 3/13/1998 1:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Actor Fool, and welcome.

<<Up until now my IRA has been made up of a bunch of low risk, relatively low interest CD's. However, after reading You Have More Than You Think, I'm ready to take a more aggressive approach. I'm only 30 so I still have at least 30 years for the account to grow. I'm leaning towards some sort of index fund but the question is which one. There seem to be so many out there and, when I randomly pick one just to examine, the information in the prospectus is overwhelming. I have no clue what I'm supposed to be looking for. Seems that this is all a little harder to do than the book describes.

Is an index fund the right choice for me and, if so, where do I start? Please help.>>

Within Fooldom, we suggest that the best index fund to use as you investigate the ins and outs of investing on your own is the Vanguard 500 Index Portfolio, a no-load, low-cost mutual fund that for better than the past 20 years has yearly out-performed the vast majority of stock funds available. In doing so, it has provided similar returns to those of the stock market in general. To Fools, those who invest in funds are better off here than anywhere else for a "no brainer" approach to investing.

Regards.....Pixy

Author: gilvid One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2242 of 76384
Subject: Re: Which Index Fund Is Best For Me? Date: 3/18/1998 9:53 AM
Agree with Pixy as usual. One big thing to look at when U buy mutual funds are costs. I beleive the only way to go is with NO LOAD funds. These have no in or out fees. Those little charges will eat into your princpal and are really not necessay, especially for a beginner. Also look at yearly expenses. Vangard is a Fund Family that is great for NO LOAD (let those two words, NO LOAD, sink in deeply and permanently)funds. Pixy recommended Vangard 500 Index (VFINX)I might also suggest Vangard Total Market Index (VTSMX) I own both and the 500 is outperforming the total just slightly so far since Jan. Mutual funds are better than individual stocks since they give diversication and less risk. You'll sleep better with them.
You might wish to visit www.bobbrinker.com web site for more info on funds and a link to the Vangard site. His approach is to go with mfunds, the opposite of what you'll find here on the fool, there is much to be said for both. For a beginer they (mfunds)get U making money now with less risk, while you're learning.

Author: gilvid One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2243 of 76384
Subject: Re: Which Index Fund Is Best For Me? Date: 3/18/1998 9:59 AM
Just left U a message on The Fool on Index Funds but forgot to check the EMail box at the bottom before I sent it. Hope you read it before U buy, it might be helpful.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement