Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Which leads to the question, is there any kind of tax on money you take out of the country for such a purchase? I recall somebody mentioning such a thing on this board a while back but I don't remember the circumstances.

I've read about a tax on taking large amounts (I think over $600K) out of the country being taxable if you are leaving the country forever. It's to prevent someone like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet from living in the US all their lives while racking up giant unrealized cap gains, and then renouncing their citizenship after moving to another country.

On a different note, you mention the word cash. Many times when more than $10,000 changes hands in CASH (paper money), it's a reportable event by the receiver. Doesn't mean taxable, but the IRS wants to keep an eye on these things to prevent money laundering and unreported income from cash transactions.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.