UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726199  
Subject: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/20/2012 7:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've always thought about this. If I hadn't gone into the boredom and drudgery of the corporate world, and wound up pitching in the pros instead, what would life be like? I think I almost had the stuff to make it as a pro pitcher. Probably just a few miles per hour short on my fastball (86-88 mph instead of 90-92 mph, often the barrier to entry by baseball scouts). It's an uncommon, genetic gift to be able to throw over 90 mph....I just didn't quite have it. Maybe if my mom had taken vitamins while pregnant. (g) But I had very good control of multiple pitches....4-seam rising fastball, 2-seam sinking fastball, curveball, slider, splitter, changeup, and even the knuckleball. Was often the ace of the team, threw a no-hitter, all-star teams, often striking out a few more than the number of innings pitched...

Aside from the fame and fortune (obvious plusses of being a sports star), which type of sports do you think is the toughest and easiest to be? Of course, the obvious answer is football since it's so tough and violent....major injuries and concussions, etc.

But on the other hand, they do only play 16 games a year (no playoffs). The NBA plays 82 games, and the MLB, a staggering 162 games a year. In terms of travel and being away from family, football must, by far, be the easiest. They're away 8 games (half) of the year on Sundays, but usually don't fly out until Friday or Saturday. All the rest of the week, they are at home practicing. The NBA, which plays almost half the days the season is in, must be away from home more frequently. Easily the worst must be baseball, where they basically play everyday for 6 months, not including the occasional day off on Mondays and Thurs...yeah, aside from that....they play just about everyday for 6 months!! They on the road half the year! But at the same time, it's got to be least physically demanding of sports (great skills required, but not physically demanding in terms of outright brute force and fatigue). Starting pitchers have by the far the best job....if you can make it. They pitch once every 5-7 games....how great is that?? Rest of time, you sit there in the dugout looking concerned for the team, chewing on sunflower seeds....but if they don't get off scot free...they must still wear the uniforms though.

Hockey - NHL??....well, it's not a real American sport....but it's got the schedule and physical demands of the NBA. It's really a Canadian import that the South ignores for the most part.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656216 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/20/2012 7:53 PM
you would have done well in pro baseball, probably becoming manager of a team with your business and math smarts too.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656217 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/20/2012 7:53 PM
How many weeks per year are pro bowlers on the road?

--fleg

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656218 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/20/2012 7:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hockey - NHL??....well, it's not a real American sport....but it's got the schedule and physical demands of the NBA

Dude? Have you ever seen an NHL game? The violence of football, the hand/eye coordination of baseball, sudden stops/starts/sprints on skates (skating is not easy, let alone when you are fighting folks off), speed, endurance, etc.... for 82 games year?

Hnads down, hockey players are the greatest athletes in the world, followed by baseball players.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656220 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/20/2012 7:56 PM
Recommendations: 2
I think I almost had the stuff to make it as a pro pitcher. Probably just a few miles per hour short on my fastball (86-88 mph instead of 90-92 mph, often the barrier to entry by baseball scouts).

The name of the game is to destroy the hitter's timing. Greg Maddux did that all the way to the HOF and he didn't throw any harder than you did.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656222 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/20/2012 8:03 PM
The name of the game is to destroy the hitter's timing. Greg Maddux did that all the way to the HOF and he didn't throw any harder than you did.

Yes, but unless you can convince the scout you're the next Greg Maddox (LOL), he's probably not going to pay attention to you unless you have "great stuff", typically meaning a very good fastball.

They look for velocity on the fastball. Speed can not be taught. They figure if you have that, they can teach you the rest....various pitches, control, etc.

Yes, some people can make it with off-speed pitches alone, but they are few and far between.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656224 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/20/2012 8:11 PM
Yes, but unless you can convince the scout you're the next Greg Maddox (LOL), he's probably not going to pay attention to you unless you have "great stuff", typically meaning a very good fastball.

If you have three out pitches, you have "great stuff". If a hitter cannot predicably anticipate what he's going to get in a given situation, the pitcher has all of the advantages.

If a hitter can "sit on a fast ball," the pitcher is in trouble. A quality MLB hitter can get around on a 98 mph fast ball. How? I have no idea, but they do.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656227 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/20/2012 8:22 PM
Dude? Have you ever seen an NHL game?

Yes, I have. I used to get all these free tickets to the Dallas Stars from our firm's ticket coordinator. Often, on a day the partners don't have big wig clients to take to the game, she'll email me at 3-4 PM asking me if I wanted the pair of tickets to that night's games - remember, our firm's Dallas location had over 2000 employees (100,000 worldwide).....this includes parking and a free gourmet buffet in the "club level." It was pretty awesome. I also used to attend the IHL Houston Aeros back in the 1990's. I am often very impressed by the quickness of the game.

Hnads down, hockey players are the greatest athletes in the world, followed by baseball players.

Yeah, this may be what the sport requires, but it doesn't mean they're the "best athletes"....maybe the most "complete, well-rounded athlete"?? Possibly. It depends on what one means by "best". No NHF hockey player could take down a large NFL linebacker in a fight. Very few hockey players could probably outrun the fastest NFL wide receivers or safeties. And no NHL player can out throw the fastest MLB pitchers. But can NHL players can many things better than the other athletes....certainly. Got to define "best athletes" first.

Author: TerryMcK Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656233 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/20/2012 8:49 PM
Yeah, this may be what the sport requires, but it doesn't mean they're the "best athletes"....maybe the most "complete, well-rounded athlete"?? Possibly. It depends on what one means by "best". No NHF hockey player could take down a large NFL linebacker in a fight. Very few hockey players could probably outrun the fastest NFL wide receivers or safeties. And no NHL player can out throw the fastest MLB pitchers. But can NHL players can many things better than the other athletes....certainly. Got to define "best athletes" first.

Depends on who makes up the rules. If the linebacker fights the NHL guy on grass, I go for him. If it's on ice, I go for the NHL guy. Same with the pitcher. If you want to measure the speed of the fastball vs. the speed of the slapshot, the NHL guy might have a slight edge.

If there is any duration involved, the football and baseball players might bring up the rear. Both of those sports have more time standing around than most other sports. Athletes who play tennis, soccer, basketball, and hockey are in sports that require much more endurance.

Then, there is always curling....

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656250 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/20/2012 10:18 PM
No NHF hockey player could take down a large NFL linebacker in a fight

Bob Probert says "Hi."

Seriously, before Bettman sissified the rules, if you couldn't fight (Gretzky excepted) you weren't long for the league. These guys would literally have to fight their way to the top.

Probert was the best NHL fighter I ever saw.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656278 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 7:03 AM

Sorry, I gotta put the call in for a machismo test for Wolvie
I'll give you Hockey Players like to fight, but choosing the most athletic because they went ice skating as boys? Sounds kinda wussy

I know we are talking pro-athletes but I do not think any of these guys can compete with a 95 pound little girls who did gymnastics, but the male gymnasts are friggin unbelievable too!

As for pros? Football cornerbacks are IMO the most amazing athletes, with Linebackers are close second (spring insanely fast, quick reactions, endurance, strength you need every athletic skill except jumping)

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656324 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 11:09 AM
Aside from the fame and fortune (obvious plusses of being a sports star), which type of sports do you think is the toughest and easiest to be?

The toughest sport is football, merely from the life changing injuries and the currently unknown status of how much is too much for head injuries. Hockey might be a close second, but you frequently see hockey players in their 40s but never in football.

The easiest sport is golf. No one is trying blindside blitz you nor put you into a submission hold. You are always in a beautiful setting with polite, distant crowds. Want to take a week or two off, no problem, you make your own schedule. Want to keep playing into your 50s/60s, there is the Senior/Champions Tour.

As far as who is the best athlete, I'd have to go with the old stand by of decathletes. You have to master 10 different disciplines. True, there is no hand to hand combat but gymnasts aren't trying to kick each other off the balance beam either. Now if you want to know who is just the plain out and out biggest bada$$, UFC/mixed marital arts.

JLC

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656325 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 11:13 AM
The easiest sport is golf.

You can't have someone at the grill making you bacon while the waitress brings you a brew.

If we are going to count golf, then I give bowling the nod

Sure the salary is not as high, but the Perks are a little more obvious.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656327 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 11:19 AM
The easiest sport is golf.

You can't have someone at the grill making you bacon while the waitress brings you a brew.

If we are going to count golf, then I give bowling the nod

Sure the salary is not as high, but the Perks are a little more obvious.

Well, if you guys are going with golf and bowling, I'll go with chess.....followed by internet chess (don't even have to pick up the pieces).

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656328 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 11:28 AM
Well, if you guys are going with golf and bowling, I'll go with chess.....followed by internet chess (don't even have to pick up the pieces).

Well, I would consider poker a better choice.

But these are not at all considered sports. As undemanding as the other two may be, they are called sports.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656329 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 11:30 AM
But these are not at all considered sports. As undemanding as the other two may be, they are called sports.

Golf and bowling are barely sports. They're almost just games. They're almost like horseshoes and shuffleboards. <g>

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656330 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 11:33 AM
Golf and bowling are barely sports. They're almost just games. They're almost like horseshoes and shuffleboards. <g>

I am not defending them, though I see no reason for trying to ruin a perfectly good walk by getting mad about not knocking a ball in a hole with a stick, now throwing a big stone to knock stuff down, that's different.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656334 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 11:36 AM

BTw, I just wanted to voice my disappointment at our Canadian brothers and sisters as well as 28s

Curling should truly be a part of this discussion at this point.

Author: TerryMcK Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656337 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 11:43 AM
Curling should truly be a part of this discussion at this point

I included curling a way back.

Has anyone mentioned mud wrestling yet

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656338 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 11:46 AM
Don't forget pole dancing, which really is a sport.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656339 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 11:47 AM
Has anyone mentioned mud wrestling yet

Don't try to hijack the thread and go political, that'll upset Art

I brought bacon in just to keep him on board!

Author: TerryMcK Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656341 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 12:00 PM
....and for the ESPN opinion - boxing #1, hockey #2, football #3, fishing #60

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656354 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 12:54 PM
....and for the ESPN opinion - boxing #1, hockey #2, football #3, fishing #60

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

If you consider floor exercise I have no idea where they consider boxing so much higher than gymnastics. Seems utterly absurd.

I guess it is different based on your criteria, but I do not agree with many of the expert opinions, but the gymnatics.boxing endurance misses by a mile IMO

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656367 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 1:33 PM
BTw, I just wanted to voice my disappointment at our Canadian brothers and sisters as well as 28s

-------------

And know onw has talked about broom ball or broom hockey or whatever it is that 2828 plays.

arrete

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656382 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 2:35 PM
And know onw has talked about "broom ball" or "broom hockey" or whatever it is that 2828 plays.

arrete

That's the phrase that 2828's wife uses to trick him into sweeping the kitchen floor.

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656383 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 3:02 PM

-------------

And know onw has talked about broom ball or broom hockey or whatever it is that 2828 plays.

arrete

I would want to play professional kickball. I dominated kickball in grade school. Of course there were the occasional doping allegations, but that is to be expected. :-)

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656402 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 4:54 PM
I would want to play professional kickball. I dominated kickball in grade school. Of course there were the occasional doping allegations, but that is to be expected. :-)
-----------------

I loved kickball. The kids probably aren't allowed to play it now because 1. Someone might fall and skin a knee! and b) there are winners and losers.

arrete

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656403 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 4:59 PM
Recommendations: 6
I loved kickball. The kids probably aren't allowed to play it now because 1. Someone might fall and skin a knee! and b) there are winners and losers.

arrete
-------------------------------------------------
I remember playing kickball in grade school on asphalt, the base lines and bases were painted on, and kids slid into bases! I remember sliding and tearing my Toughskins down to the rubberized patch on the knee. Nowadays kids would be forced to wear helmets and knee pads. It's sad to have to witness the wussification and regimentalness of todays kiddom.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656407 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 5:06 PM

Ummm, you've never seen a "cart girl" before?

JLC

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656408 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 5:09 PM

You're confusing that with the tongue hockey Foolman plays.

JLC

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656409 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 5:11 PM

JLC

For the players? No

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656415 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 5:21 PM

arrete

-------------------------------------------------
I remember playing kickball in grade school on asphalt, the base lines and bases were painted on, and kids slid into bases! I remember sliding and tearing my Toughskins down to the rubberized patch on the knee. Nowadays kids would be forced to wear helmets and knee pads. It's sad to have to witness the wussification and regimentalness of todays kiddom.

We used to play pick-up tackle football, skateboarding, and ride our BMX bikes, all without a helmet or pads. I had my share of spills. Ouch!

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656418 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 5:31 PM

JLC

For the players? No

At the pro level they're called caddies.

JLC

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656458 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/21/2012 8:35 PM
Well, if you guys are going with golf and bowling, I'll go with chess.....followed by internet chess (don't even have to pick up the pieces). - AOL

-----------------

That POGO site you posted a long while back about having a good scrabble game became a favorite of mine. I played the crap out of Scrabble for quite a while. They have a damn good chess game that I have been playing a lot for the last few months.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656479 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/22/2012 12:00 AM
Well, if you guys are going with golf and bowling, I'll go with chess.....followed by internet chess (don't even have to pick up the pieces). - AOL

-----------------

That POGO site you posted a long while back about having a good scrabble game became a favorite of mine. I played the crap out of Scrabble for quite a while. They have a damn good chess game that I have been playing a lot for the last few months

Yup, to this day, I still play a couple of games a week of Scrabble on that Pogo site. It's a nicely designed game.

On this wonderful eve of Thanksgiving, I'll take your post as a token of thanks, and I am happy to have given you the joy of that online game.

Foolman is hearing lofty X-mas songs of glee and joy in his head....

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656482 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/22/2012 12:09 AM

Have you heard the latest?? The parents of the very newest generation of kids are forcing them to wear thimbles and knuckle pads while playing sports video games.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656577 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/23/2012 2:35 AM
How many weeks per year are pro bowlers on the road?

I actually have a Facebook friend who is a retired pro bowler. He was a former classmate of mine back in 6th through 9th grade. He bowled professionally during his adult life until a few years ago when some physical/health issues surfaced that forced him to give it up.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656579 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/23/2012 2:38 AM

Well, I would consider poker a better choice.

How about Mah-Jongg?

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656580 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/23/2012 2:42 AM

Hey Foolman, what about soccer? Did you know that The Principality of Sealand has its own national soccer team? (Although, in proper European fashion, they call it "football".) And you don't need to have Sealandic citizenship to join.

Sealand's National "Football" (Soccer) Team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand_national_football_team

http://www.sealandgov.org/announcements/play-football-for-se...

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656581 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/23/2012 2:45 AM

I remember kickball in grade school... it was really fun. That was about the last time I enjoyed playing a sport.

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657122 of 726199
Subject: Re: Which Pro Sport is the Best as Player Date: 11/27/2012 4:49 PM
Good question. The thing is, each sport is so different and requires a different skill set and often differing physical characteristics.

I played HS baseball, basketball, football, track & field and even was on the tennis team. 4 years of each. Small school. What little free time I had was spent in physical training, weight lifting etc.. for further development. I was offered scholarships in football, basketball and if I had pushed it.. a track & field scholarship as well.

I chose football at the D1 level and lasted only 1 year. Frankly, I did not have the 'bone crushing' mental attitude to do well nor was I willing to take performance enhancing drugs to gain weight like they wanted me too. I quit and ended up running track later in my college days with no scholarship....gravitated to the decathlon during and after college until I broke my heal, finishing any hopes at attempting to qualify for the 92 olympics.

Baseball takes a tremedous amount of skill development for just quick moments of performing. I found it boring and is why I don't play much softball as an adult.

I enjoyed basketball more than anything. Had major ups (which is why I could high jump nearly 7 feet) and was quick straight ahead. Yet, was slow with lateral movements, a must for good defense. I worked on basketball in my youth more than anything, dribbling and shooting. Could have played at a small school in college being 6'5". Seemed the most natural sport to me. But I was not dominant once I left the HS arena. At 6'5", I was a tweener (not tall enough for under the basket but not quick enough for a guard).

The decathlon seemed to be the perfect fit for me. Size helped a lot, had long arms for the disc, shot and javelin, had speed and jumps. My work ethic served me well... almost too well...and I overtrained a lot.

Just did not start soon enough. I was a skinny kid in school. Never knew I would develop like I did. If I had a dad that gived a rip, perhaps I could have got some direction. Sports was an outlet for me to be away from my parents so I would not have to deal with the abuse at home.

At least dad learned his lesson and helped out my little sister (22 years yonger than me). While he rarely went to one of my games, he went to everything she did, bought her equipment I would have drooled over and supported her in any way he could. She ended up playing college VB, set 7 school records, 4 year all conference. I think she still has most of the 'kill' records at the D2 school she played at.

It's a little unbearable at family gatherings. He likes to brag about her and just bust my chops. I just sit in silence and try to be a 'good' son. I mean, he knew what I eventually did...what I became.... How many sons do you know that can run a 4.4 40, bench press 350 lbs, high jump 6'9", bust a softball over the fence, run a 48.0 400 meters, score in the 70's in golf....I could go on. It's like I'm invisible.

decath

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement