UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jbohland One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75375  
Subject: Which shares did I sell? Date: 3/16/2001 2:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently sold a portion of of a holding in a self-directed traditional IRA. I had bought the shares in one lot of 31 (most recent and least expensive shares) and another lot of 25 (oldest and most expensive shares). I sold 18 shares. Do I have a choice of selling them from either lot or are the oldest shares automatically assumed to be sold first?

Thanks.

John
Print the post Back To Top
Author: L2J Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28468 of 75375
Subject: Re: Which shares did I sell? Date: 3/16/2001 2:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Do I have a choice of selling them from either lot or are the oldest shares automatically assumed to be sold first?

Yes, you can indicate which shares are to be sold. If nothing indicated on the sale, "usually" first in, first out. I say usually because there maybe an instance or brokerage that does not.

HaGD, L2J

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28469 of 75375
Subject: Re: Which shares did I sell? Date: 3/16/2001 3:08 PM
Since this is in a traditional IRA, it's tax-deferred. Thus, it doesn't matter which shares you deem to sell. There's no difference between STCG, LTCG, ELTCG, or dividends in a tax-deferred account.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement