Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey all,
I'm a US citized who just got married to a non-resident. We're in the middle of the green card process right now(it takes about a year). Every year previous to this she's had to fill out a 1040 NR (non-resident). Can we now file like a normal couple (married filing jointly) or do we still have to use separate forms?

Any advice appreciated...fool on!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.