UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bostonfan49 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76384  
Subject: Which two funds to put my 401k into? Date: 2/6/2008 11:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi! I have well over 240k to rollover into an IRA. I am looking at two Fidelity funds. The first is the Spartan 500 Index fund (Advantage Class) FSTVX, which has fairly decent returns and a LOW expense ratio of 0.07!!!!!! The other is the reopened Magellan fund FMAGX which has similar returns, BUT a much higher ER of .54....Granted .54 is low, but its almost 8 times higher than the Spartan fund. Curious for some feedback. I also have additional funds which I would like to put into some international fund, looking again at the Spartan FSIIX international index fund, again for a VERY low expense ratio. Maybe a bond funs also...looking at a 10 year time frame. Thanks, Bill
Print the post Back To Top
Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61332 of 76384
Subject: Re: Which two funds to put my 401k into? Date: 2/6/2008 11:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Since I held some Magellan in the 1990s, its still tracked in my Quicken. I look at it every couple years and haven't seen it do well enough to want to get back into it. I compare it to the funds I bought when I sold the Magellan and it is still so far behind that I have no interest in it at all.

Barbara

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61333 of 76384
Subject: Re: Which two funds to put my 401k into? Date: 2/6/2008 12:59 PM
There is no reason, in looking at an actively managed fund, to consider the fees in such detail. The bottom line is what you get after the fees are paid. You can see that in a chart of the fund, but get a chart with distributions reinvested. Compare charts to see which have done the best, and re-evaluate regularly.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61336 of 76384
Subject: Re: Which two funds to put my 401k into? Date: 2/6/2008 3:20 PM
Recommendations: 2
Many years ago, I read something that stuck with me - you can't predict future returns based on the past, but you can predict future costs. The higher expense ratio is like a ball and chain dragging down the actively managed fund. You are wise to consider the expenses since it's likely to affect future earnings.

FWIW, when I rolled over my 401k last year, I went with a tweaked Coffeehouse portfolio (which reminds me, I need to rebalance). IIRC, all the funds had pretty low expense ratios.

-murray

Author: bostonfan49 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61337 of 76384
Subject: Re: Which two funds to put my 401k into? Date: 2/6/2008 5:53 PM
Murray, thanks! Read a good Coffeehouse article with all the suggested fund types. The article was old though..(2005) I take it though you are very pleased with the results? Thanks, Bill

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61338 of 76384
Subject: Re: Which two funds to put my 401k into? Date: 2/6/2008 6:45 PM
The article was old though..(2005) I take it though you are very pleased with the results?

Using it for only a year, I can't really say and, frankly, I stuck a relatively small amount in there just to get a taste as we approach retirement.

I plan on getting the Coffeehouse book to get a more thorough understanding.

-murray

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61339 of 76384
Subject: Re: Which two funds to put my 401k into? Date: 2/6/2008 6:57 PM
>> Using it for only a year, I can't really say and, frankly, I stuck a relatively small amount in there just to get a taste as we approach retirement. <<

I've used an asset allocation model not too unlike Coffeehouse since 2000. It did VERY well from 2001 to 2006. In 2007, not so much.

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61340 of 76384
Subject: Re: Which two funds to put my 401k into? Date: 2/6/2008 8:52 PM
ADVDX. Reinvest the dividends.

CGMFX. Each January, replace it with the prior year's top fund.

Bond funds? Pluuuease; you'll lose money after inflation.

Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61345 of 76384
Subject: Re: Which two funds to put my 401k into? Date: 2/7/2008 12:47 PM
..I have well over 240k........Granted .54 is low,...

0.54% of 240K is $1296 per year compared to $168 for the index fund.

It might be low compared to even worse choices but that is like saying a light beer is low in calories.

The Fidelity Magellan fund had some great years but now it is frequently cited as an example of how when a fund becomes huge, it becomes a closet index fund that more or less performs like an index fund, but with higher fees.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_36/b3898134_mz070.htm

Keeping costs low is one of the few things that you can control and over the decades it makes a huge difference. Don't compromise on low costs unless you can come up with a compelling reason to.

To you list of possible option for the stock part of your portfolio I would also consider the Fidelity;

Total Market index fund(FSTVX) to give you more diversification with smaller stocks

International Stock Index Fund(FSIVX) to get more international diversification.

The exact percentage in each fund will depend on the details of your situation but 20% in the international fund would be considered low for many people.

Greg

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement