No. of Recommendations: 0
I've determined that a self-directed IRA is where I want to put 401(k) money from a previous job. All well and good. However, I can't get a satisfactory (by that I mean knowledgeable) answer from my brokerage house about which type of IRA to choose. One guy says a 401(k) rollover goes into a non-contributory IRA, another says it's my choice between a conduit (rollover) account and a traditional account, but he can't tell me the difference between them. I know the difference, but I don't know the tax law.
Given my choice, I'd opt for the contributory account and would put in my $2000 per year.
Anybody know the scoop on this? All advice appreciated!
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.