UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: LordFoolman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734699  
Subject: Re: Welcome To Chicago Date: 1/25/2013 10:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
While Chicago does not have the highest murder rate among all cities, it has in the past earned that honor among the three largest cities:

But that's not what the picture postcard you disseminated in your first post in this thread stated.

Thank you for admitting that it was a falsehood.

I think alot of the "worst crime cities" surveys or whatever are misleading. New Orleans, Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, etc usually top the list.

But what usually gets forgotten in these lists is that it all depends on where you are in the city. There are affluent suburbs in these cities that are typically very safe. They are probably no more dangerous than small cities in Iowa or North Dakota. But once you venture into say, the south side of Chicago in the projects, or just outside downtown in New Orleans in the projects, its bad news. I've walked through these areas in New Orleans....I remember the group of friends I was with as we were walking down the sidewalk towards the French Quarters, we'd literally cross the street to avoid a group of "sketchy" young males.

When I was in Chicago (twice) last time I had a meetup with Andrew, I at no time felt threatened. I hung out in Wrigleyville, downtown and near O'Hare Airport. Felt fine.

Can't paint cities with a broad brush. Most cities have their "rough" parts.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement