UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76079  
Subject: Re: Replacing the 4% rule Date: 5/15/2010 12:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
While I find the 4% rule useful as a general guide to be sure I'm not getting extravagant, I developed a spreadsheet of my own long ago. It allows me to plan not only for normal expenses but also include special events in my life like transferring from individual health insurance to Medicare or replacing my car every few years.

But what has gotten me through two nasty recessions since I retired is using a little common sense. When markets are down sharply I've cut back a little on expenses. I've found it really isn't hard to trim 5%. 10% would involve a little pain but could be done if necessary. Fortunately I've always lived comfortably but never felt compelled to have the biggest house on the block or the most toys. So my money is mostly in liquid assets that cost nothing to maintain instead of bricks, mortar and steel. The value and income stream may fluctuate with the economy but I'm not struggling to pay upkeep and real estate taxes on a depreciating asset. My parents would be pleased to know I was paying more attention to their example than they thought.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement