Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BruceBrown Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8999  
Subject: Re: Continuing the conversation. Date: 6/25/2001 2:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
While I was on the range I also tried out a Calloway steelhead driver today-- it has a 10 degree angle but I was still really popping it up, especially when I lined it up near my lead foot. This seems perverse to me given that most people have trouble getting height with a driver, but there you go. If anything, I need a driver that'll help me keep the ball lower. Or maybe I just need a better swing.

Believe it or not, a lot of the ball flight height has to do with the 'kick point' in the shaft. I think they are divided into high, medium and low when it comes to kick points. Whether you are hitting a Callaway 8.5 degree, 9 degree, 10 degree, 11 degree or 12 degree (that's the face angle) - if the kick point is such that it launches the ball at a higher angle, the face angle won't change the ball flight too much. The lower the number is for the angle, the better chance you do have of hitting it lower. However, the sidespin also increases with the lower angle numbers which makes it easier to fade and draw (or hook and slice for more serious swing flaws). The faster your swing speed, the easier it is to hit one of the lower angle face on the drivers because you have the swing speed to launch the ball on the upswing for the driver to get optimum carry. So slower swing speeds would do much better with 11 and 12 degree driver face angles. The 'kick point' (where the shaft bends and flexes) is another element that determines the launch angle - especially when combined with swing speed. Here again, custom fitting and experimentation with different shaft kick points and flexes is what allows each golfer to come up with the formula which works the best for them. Pro golfers are not buying off the shelf golf clubs. They may play Callaway or Ping or Orlimar or Titelist or Mizuno or Taylor Made clubs, but you can count on their sets being custom shafts, lie angles, swing weight, grip sizes, face angles and custom grinding to their own 'formula' after years of experimentation.

The formula for the clubs in John Daly's bag are far different than what you would find in Tom Kite's bag for example. Daly's shafts most likely have the weight and flex of a lead pipe or heavy 2X4 while Kite's are most likely much lighter, shorter and with more flex. Their clubs are as different as their swings. Your 45 minute lesson/club fitting will most likely cover the basics of what you need and what will work the best for you. Most of us have some sort of a natural internal swing speed and strength factor which the pro will be able to see and measure during your fitting session to come close enough to the best formula for you. Enjoy your session and you'll have all your questions answered.

I hope you scarffed them up! Heck, if they were a good price, and if orange dots are right for me, I'll buy them from you.

Nope. The price was good enough to cause me to contemplate, though. It would have cost more to ship them to you in the states than the man wanted for the set. I suggested he list them on one of the golf exchange sites or eBay. I sold a set a few years ago on one of those sites to a man in Chicago. It cost me over $100 US dollars to ship them US internationally - so I actually lost money in the transaction by selling them, but made more than had I sold them at a rummage sale. I used to play the white dots (the sticks I sold to the man in Chicago) and now play the silver dots which are 4 degrees upright. It would take some sort of miracle to be able to bend the metal from 1 degree flat up enough that I could have used the set. However, my understanding is that Ping will accept a set sent in to them to have the lie angle adjusted or grips changed. The instructions used to be on their web site and this is what I found in the FAQ's under repair:

PING can adjust most PING irons depending on the age of the irons. However as the metal ages it loses its elasticity which limits how much the clubs can be adjusted. PING determines on a case-by-case basis whether or not a set of irons can be adjusted to the extent requested.

http://www.pinggolf.com/

Here is their fitting section which is an interesting read because it relates to most club fitting from all the brands these days:

http://www.pinggolf.com/fitting.html

BB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement