Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Illuminato Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9269  
Subject: Re: Layoffs going on now at IBM Date: 7/12/2001 10:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 16
While Ihg appears to be a legitimate representative of IBM workers, I am suspicious of the attempt to reach IBM folks through the Motley Fool message board. Given the title of the message, which only mentions the layoffs themselves, and the unusual use of TMF to reach IBM workers, I suspect that this is an attempt to rile up unfavorable publicity for the company. This is likely a ploy to alarm the investing public, which is the true audience on this discussion board.

I have total sympathy for people who have lost their jobs, and they should receive support from unions and other groups. However, the layoffs going on at IBM represent an extremely small percentage of the total employee population at the company. It's a cost trimming measure, and an attempt to let go of employees whose skills or responsibilities are no longer crucial to the company. These layoffs, while unfortunate for the people involved, are not serious enough to indicate financial trouble for the company.

This solicitation from Ihg is an irresponsible attempt to alarm investors through the guise of employee support services. After all, who is on this message board, laid off employees or investors?

Illuminato
(disclaimer: an IBM employee)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement