No. of Recommendations: 1
While my 401k isn't set it stone either, at least I can calcuate today what my balance is, and apply an estimated growth rate to that balance. With her pension plan, there are a great many more variables, many of which are hard to estimate with any accuracy.

Part of the issue when teacher versus private sector is compared is the "tenure"/job security issue. A lot of people in the private sector today have faced at least one layoff - some even more.

I have a friend who just completed her MBA - so in the other person's post about "advanced degrees mean higher salaries" one would think she would be making more money. Well for the past few years she's been working for a consulting/staffing company and the client position she was placed at was eliminated last month. Lucky they were able to find another for her, but it was at a lower rate so she had to take a steep paycut in order to not be laid off. I know she's already been through 1 layoff 10+ years ago, as we both worked for the same telecom and both got laid off at different points during multiple rounds of downsizing.

I don't know what happens with tenured teachers if there's a school closing in their area (does the system have to place the teacher someplace else?). But nowadays in the private sector it's normal for people to face at least 1 layoff where a career has ups and downs salary/position wise instead of a steady upward slope. And if you face multiple layoffs that can really hit someone's e-fund where they might be forced to tap retirement savings for living expenses. I just think people in professions with job security don't realize how job insecure most employees are nowadays.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement