Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[While still on the path to enlightenment and financial bliss, I have stopped at the intersection of
educational expenses for my kids. They both want to get advanced degrees, and I hope to help
them with my IRA monies. I am under 59 1/2, and wish to avoid the 10% additional tax. Ergo, I
have several questions:

1) Is there any limit to the amount I can take out per kid per year?]]

Nope. Not the way the law is currently written.

[[2) If yes, can I replace one kid's gift and later give it to the other?]]

Since the answer to #1 was no, this question is not moot.

[[ 3) Do advanced degrees count as qualified higher education from the IRS's viewpoint?]] problem with graduate level courses.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.