UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56896  
Subject: Re: Anybody else have this problem lately Date: 11/17/2012 9:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
While stores have been occasionally challenged because none of my credit cards have chips, only one (a Clark's shoe store in England) couldn't accommodate my American plastic.

I'm curious because I'm trying to figure out the timeline and extent of this chippy invasion. When did you run into problem with your card in England?

I was in Ireland and England (only Manchester) last year in October and never had any problems at all. This year's trip to the Netherlands was my first experience with the chippy and it was a real problem at almost every store, restaurant or ticket counter. They had credit card readers that were equipped with both a magnetic strip reader and a chippy reader, but the magnetic strip readers were all stuffed with cardboard and a notice not to use it. The ATMs and hotels all still allowed us to use magnetic strip cards. That was enough to get by. We carried a lot more Euros in cash than we normally would, but because the ATMs accepted our cards, that wasn't a big problem. We just had to figure it out.

At this point,I don't know whether this is a very recent development, is unique to Holland, or whether this is a global development that I'm going to have to deal with from now on.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement