Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Lint21 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5687  
Subject: Whiny veggies? Date: 7/29/2001 11:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DISCLAIMER: Despite the pseudo-inflammatory title (made ya look though!), I'm not posting this to start a flame war or anything. Simply attempting to broaden my horizons, understand where others are coming from, etc. Before you condemn me as an ignorant carnivore, be aware that I'm vegetarian, and can't imagine not being one.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I was browsing another board, where a poster had written a post complaining about the hassles of being vegan. They had recently gone to Las Vegas, and had been relegated to eating lettuce, since the $2.95 buffets didn't provide many vegan options. This was apparently taken as a personal affront by the poster, who came across as sounding very self-centered and bratty.... "How DARE they not think of MY needs!".

To me, this seems like a common theme when it comes to vegans and vegetarians. Before I became one, I had a very low opinion of vegetarians. They all seemed noisy, and often went out of their way to make sure you knew they didn't eat meat, and why. For example, having a regular conversation with someone, say, about your weekend. "Blah blah blah, what did you do this weekend, I went to a BBQ at a friend's house" (Veggie replies) "Oh, a BBQ. I'm a vegetarian". Bam, end of conversation, awkward silence.

Why do people feel the need to tell everyone they meet about their dietary habits? Why can't they accept the consequences of *their own decision* to become a veg? Did the above poster really expect a Las Vegas buffet to cater to a vegan? If you decide you're not going to eat the overwhelming majority of readily available food, do you have a right to feel put out when you can't eat the overwhelming majority of readily available food? I just think it's interesting that I have *never* heard someone who is diabetic or lactose intolerant complain about what they can't eat. Perhaps the whiny veggies are just in it for the trendiness?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tootru Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2526 of 5687
Subject: Re: Whiny veggies? Date: 7/29/2001 3:52 PM
Recommendations: 1
I have *never* heard someone who is diabetic or lactose intolerant complain about what they can't eat.

You've never met my uncle, then!

I understand your point, though. And I think for every whiny veggie there are probably 10 not-whiny ones. You don't know, simply for that reason. I only make people aware of my needs when I'm in a circumstance that requires it or am asked. For instance, when my work team has meetings, we order out from a particular restaurant. I don't complain about the choices, but I made inquiries the first time to see if there was something suitable on the menu. If there hadn't been, I would've provided my own meal.

The first time I ate dinner with my boss, we went to a place that serves relatively few vegan meals. I ordered nachos without cheese and sour cream, so he was interested and asked about it.

When I go out with friends, they're solicitous to the point of being annoying. "But can you have anythign there? (no pause for me to answer) Well, where do you want to go?" I just tell them I'll find something on the menu if I can, and not to worry.

Another time I went out with my boss and my two employees. It was the employees' first time meeting my boss. One of my employees is gay and made sure to work the conversation around to it. Afterwards my boss said "Isn't it interesting how people who live alternative lifestyles have to make sure everyone knows they do?" And so I thought, but I live an ostensibly different lifestyle and don't make much of a fuss about it.

Let's see, at Christmas I was given a box of cookies from Mrs. Fields as was everyone else on my team. I didn't complain, I just shared them with my customers.

The list goes on. I guess I just want to prove that I'm not a whiny veg*n. (c:

And I'd bet for every whiny veggie there's an equal and opposite omni who loves to bait them. (c:

Hugs,
t.

Author: savudai Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2529 of 5687
Subject: Re: Whiny veggies? Date: 7/30/2001 12:13 PM
Recommendations: 3
I will assure you that whining is not confined to veggies. Travel to india with a bunch of meat eating midwesterners (sorry about the stereotypes...but I am going after a prototype here) and you will hear whining from the other side as well.
Heck...I've heard whining from New Yorkers visiting California about how our food is too 'foo-foo'. It is a matter of which whining we all pay attention to.

Author: BeDucky Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2530 of 5687
Subject: Re: Whiny veggies? Date: 7/30/2001 3:36 PM
Of course, I encounter the opposite extreme often enough, which is the meat eater who sounds curious why I'm a vegetarian and then starts picking arguments or playing the "what if you were stranded somewhere where all there was is meat and your choice was starvation or meat" hypotheticals to the point of absurdity.

Fortunately, since my post-college mellowing out, I've learned to manage to defuse most such efforts by explaining early, when asked, "well, it's mostly a taste preference... once upon a time, I was inspired by various political and ethical considerations, but the taste is what keeps me going."

I usually avoid places where I know I'm not going to be able to get veg stuff (relatively rare in Seattle), and I ask fewer questions at restaurants than I ask of the foods I buy in the grocery store, so I rarely feel marginalized.

Of course, now I occasionally feel guilty when declining invitations to eat with colleagues at some steakhouse or other venue that I know has minimal vegetarian options, because I don't want to spoil their party. But on the other hand, I work with various people who come from around the world, and many of my Indian colleagues are also vegetarian for religious or momentum reasons, and Islamic or Jewish colleagues often have other dietary requirements, so I'm usually not the only one :P

Author: ShelJ Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2531 of 5687
Subject: Re: Whiny veggies? Date: 7/30/2001 6:12 PM
I pretty much relate to what Tru said. Even though I am wearing my invisible Militant Vegetarian hat, I'm trying to be quiet about it. I decided if I didn't want to talk about why I don't eat meat, I didn't have to announce that I don't. Sometimes though, you have to ask for a meatless meal. But lots of times, I've found I can just be vague about the whole thing, in a restaurant or get-together. I quit eating seafood in May and have been able to get by without telling anybody except maybe mentioning it here, and also telling my one close vegetarian friend. Even though there's a tradition in Wis. of Friday fish frys, I've just not ordered fish on Fridays and no one says much of anything. I don't think they've noticed I quit eating fish. Another example is one day I was at a funeral, and there was a lunch. I didn't take any meat, and there was enough food for non-meat-eaters. The guy next to me at some point asked, "Don't you want any ham?" and I just said, "No thanks." And nobody said anything. Well, it's not always that simple, but it's more simple than I expected.

One more point . . . along the lines of something BeDucky said . . . the only reason I came to this board was because I was tired of dealing with militant meat-eaters, and I needed more support. It's too bad it has to be like that!

Shel

Author: thinkmike Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2532 of 5687
Subject: Re: Whiny veggies? Date: 7/30/2001 10:05 PM
Recommendations: 1
If we are talking about california, what about trying to find Sweetened Ice Tea?

Forget the steak man, not having sweetened ice tea is a cardinal offense to a southerner!!

Author: LeRoyPhipps Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2533 of 5687
Subject: Re: Whiny veggies? Date: 7/30/2001 10:12 PM
Recommendations: 7
(Sigh) . . . and furthermore, whyyyyyyy do I always get stuck in the back of the bottom drawer with this smelly ol ' onion? And whoooo's bright idea was it to put an apple in here with his endless ethylene gas? (peeeeeuuwwwiiieee)

Besides, the rutabagas are rude to me and no one ever shares their wrapping. And on top of all of that, there's never, ever enough light in here.

Oooohhh, sometimes I really wish someone would just eat me and put me out of my misery once and for all.

(sigh)

Just Sign Me . . . A Whiny Wittle Veggie

Author: JennyJean Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2534 of 5687
Subject: Re: Whiny veggies? Date: 7/31/2001 9:59 AM
Recommendations: 3
If we are talking about california, what about trying to find Sweetened Ice Tea?

Forget the steak man, not having sweetened ice tea is a cardinal offense to a southerner!!

Then there are those of us for whom putting any sort of sweetener in iced tea is the cardinal sin! Ack!!!!! If you put a glass of sugary iced tea and a steak in front of me and told me I had to choose one, I might for a moment actually consider the steak.

JennyJean
muttering to self about silly southerners ;-)

Author: TMFKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2535 of 5687
Subject: Re: Whiny veggies? Date: 7/31/2001 12:47 PM
>>>
Then there are those of us for whom putting any sort of sweetener in iced tea is the cardinal sin!

<<<

I have to agree with Jenny on this one. It is easy to add sweetener to unsweetened tea but it is impossible to take out what is already added.

Patrick

A Fool and his money are soon partying ;-)

It pays to be a Fool! Check out the new offers available in our Fool Perks area:

http://www.fool.com/Community/MBC/MBC.asp?source=CSBO02106

Author: DeadheadFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2536 of 5687
Subject: Re: Whiny veggies? Date: 7/31/2001 7:12 PM
I was browsing another board, where a poster had written a post complaining about the hassles of being vegan. They had recently gone to Las Vegas, and had been relegated to eating lettuce, since the $2.95 buffets didn't provide many vegan options.

Slightly off the point of this thread, but I just stayed at The Aladdin in Vegas and was delighted by the vegan options on the buffet there. Mexican, Middle Eastern, veggies, fruit... no problem at all! Protein, carbs, many healthy and vegan selections.

Chris

Author: ggopalan One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2537 of 5687
Subject: Re: Whiny veggies? Date: 7/31/2001 7:16 PM
<< Slightly off the point of this thread, but I just stayed at The Aladdin in Vegas and was delighted by the vegan options on the buffet there.
Mexican, Middle Eastern, veggies, fruit... no problem at all! Protein, carbs, many healthy and vegan selections.

Chris >>

Thank you for this valuable info Chris. I have never been to Vegas before and this is useful information for me.
ggopalan

Author: feleck Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2551 of 5687
Subject: Re: Whiny veggies? Date: 8/3/2001 9:49 AM
Recommendations: 5
was browsing another board, where a poster had written a post complaining about the hassles of being vegan. They had recently gone to Las Vegas, and had been
relegated to eating lettuce, since the $2.95 buffets didn't provide many vegan options. This was apparently taken as a personal affront by the poster, who came
across as sounding very self-centered and bratty.... "How DARE they not think of MY needs!".

I'm afraid I agree with the poster. Part of the Las Vegas draw, the mystique, are these large all you can eat buffets. So, if *I* was to got here, I would be losing out on my expectations(fed by the Vegas promotions/advertisements) if there was nothing I could eat. Wahts more, if I called the place I was going in advance and told them of my needs, to be assured that I would be able to eat there, and than discover that there were 2 dishes on a buffet of 100 that I could eat(the typical token dishes around here are hummus and salad) I would be understandably annoyed.

Let's face it, if you go to a hotel, the staffs job IS to cater to your needs. Now, they may decide that catering to vegans is not cost effective, in which case their front desk staff must be aware of this so as not to assure a vegan that their needs will be met. (The same would be true if someone who kept kosher had called and was assured there would be something, and was reduced to eating lettuce and raw veggies).

When I go out to a restaurant, I grill the staff on available dishes. To meat eaters, this seems to be 'making a big deal' out of it. The most commong comment being "Why are you asking whats in the cream of brocolli soup!?" Which, 9 times out of 10, has chicken broth in it - and most waitresses don't know.

I find no problem with being pushy, I am paying for a meal, I have a right to make sure the meal matches my expectations. I don't expect a restaurant to cater to my needs, I expect a restaurant to either provide food I can eat(and thus will pay for) or not(and thus I don't eat there).

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement