No. of Recommendations: 4
I was a print subscriber to The Economist and they would send me this additional magazine which was basically an advertising supplement. I saw an ad for investment in single malt whiskey. $1500 for a hogshed barrel (about 100 gal)of raw unaged whiskey in a bond warehouse in Glasgow. Doing some simple minded arithmetic it looked like it could be worth something in 8-10 years and if not I would have a barrel of aged whiskey. What could go wrong? Turns out it was mostly fraudulent. There apparently was some whiskey somewhere but I never was able to trace it. I also was notified a couple years later that the "merchant" that had sold the "investments" was out of business and the only hope of restitution was if I had paid for it with a credit card because then the credit card company might be liable for empowering a fraud. Anyway 100% loss. The Economist later apologized for selling ad space to hucksters.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement