Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TinkerShaw Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8764  
Subject: Who ar ethe gorillas Date: 7/9/2003 2:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Since this board has been rather inactive of late, what are the newer gorillas one is looking at.

The proto-types are well known, your MSFT, INTC, CSCO, ORCL, but what new simians are we watching.

I'd say most persons would agree that QCOM, ARMHY, RMBS, if not gorillas (and except for RMBS, arguments can be made pro-Gorilla for QCOM and ARMHY), at least are worth watching in that regard. Who else deserves to be in that basket?

Tinker
P.S. there is also new royalty, as for example in the Wi-Fi market, say Intersil as an example.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8739 of 8764
Subject: Re: Who ar ethe gorillas Date: 7/9/2003 5:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Tinker:

Tomorrow I hope to put together a more complete reply but for now I just want to mention that you seem to be forgetting all the software wannabe gorillas and chimps. If I'm reading the book right, software chips do a lot better than hardware chimps and there can a large number of them: VPNs, VoIP, security, data mining, storage, network performance monitoring, billing, etc., etc.

One software company that I have a very good feeling about is Micromuse [MUSE] but I should do the numbers first. I would love to hear opinions on Veritas (besides Alex's :) ), Portal, Cognos, Checkpoint, Cyberguard, Amdox, and Manhattan Associates to name a few. I'm not mentioning the likes of BEAS and Siebel because I really don't understand their business.

In the royalty game, yes, Wi-Fi is certainly a possibility. One that I like very much which has Buffettesque conditions is Intrado [TRDO]. If they grab the 911 niche that is going to be one heck of a toll gate.

Lots of work ahead of us here!

Denny Schlesinger
Caracas - Venezuela
denny@softwaretimes.com

Author: trenchrat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8743 of 8764
Subject: Re: Who ar ethe gorillas Date: 7/10/2003 4:29 PM
Recommendations: 0
hey Tink...long time no see....well...sure u read SONS numbers...impressive...I sold last this week ahead of numbers...as per usual..and will get a re-entry..as per usual...but thses numbers..if we trust em?...seem damn good...lemme know...thanks...tr

Author: trenchrat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8744 of 8764
Subject: Re: Who ar ethe gorillas Date: 7/10/2003 6:44 PM
Recommendations: 3
Did I say re-entry?.....yeah....done deal....u guys that bot at those sub 1 buck levels and held over the plethora of stacked gaps/wild swings....I bow to your courage...and I envy the gains....all the best...tr

Author: TinkerShaw Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8745 of 8764
Subject: Re: Who ar ethe gorillas Date: 7/10/2003 8:57 PM
Recommendations: 0
hey Tink...long time no see....well...sure u read SONS numbers...impressive...I sold last this week ahead of numbers...as per usual..and will get a re-entry..as per usual...but thses numbers..if we trust em?...seem damn good...lemme know...thanks...tr

Took SONS a while to start recovering even with all the good VoIP news. But it is now extremely pricey for my taste. It needs, at least from my old analysis, to double its present revenues just to break even, much less justify its present valuation. Part of the mini-bubble that is building in the marketplace. So I'm out of SONS now.

I've been looking more at biotech and trying to find undervalued gorilla like companies like ARMHY and being very selective at this time, with the ouch from the prior bubble still present. Although there were some nice rides from ridiculously low valuations :))).

SONS is just too rich for my blood at this time, at this point in the mnarket.

Tinker

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement