UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Showtime81 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75802  
Subject: Who are you invested with? Date: 8/27/2007 4:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm looking at IRAs, and I'm curious to know who everyone is invested with? I just opened a savings account with ING and I've been looking into their funds, and I've always heard that Vanguard has very good funds as well. Who are you invested with, and do you like them, and why?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: hockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58988 of 75802
Subject: Re: Who are you invested with? Date: 8/27/2007 5:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Vanguard for all rollovers, IRA's and after-tax investments for 35 years. TIAA-CREF for 403b just as long. I like them both VERY much!

Hockeypop

Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58991 of 75802
Subject: Re: Who are you invested with? Date: 8/28/2007 9:08 AM
I think everyone has their own opinion and favorite. I use Schwab, but invest in many different companies funds. I also have a Vanguard account.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58994 of 75802
Subject: Re: Who are you invested with? Date: 8/28/2007 10:15 AM
Recommendations: 1
For me, it has depended on what I want to be buying in the account. I have an IRA at Vanguard where I have some mutual funds, but I also have an IRA at E-trade where I trade stocks. The mutual funds are free at Vanguard, where I'd have to pay a fee to E-trade to buy the same things, and the stock transactions are much cheaper at E-trade than at Vanguard.

There's nothing wrong with having more than one IRA.

Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59010 of 75802
Subject: Re: Who are you invested with? Date: 8/29/2007 11:12 AM
Recommendations: 1
I tried both Fidelity and Vanguard, and I like Fidelity better.

Because I also have a brokerage account, as well as an IRA, I liked the fact that Fidelity calculates gains on closed trades by lot sold. Vanguard uses an 'average cost' method that I didn't like. You won't have to worry about that with an IRA.

I personally think Fidelity's customer service is better, because they've been great for me, but opinions on this vary widely.

I think Fidelity has more 'network' funds available (no fee to trade), but I'm not absolutely sure about this.

I also didn't like the fact that at Vanguard, with a brokerage account, each fund was treated like a separate 'account', and there was no default 'wash' fund (i.e. muni bond, or money market) that could be used automatically when buying and selling funds--Fidelity has this with their brokerage accounts.

That's my 2 cents, YMMV,

2old

Author: footchester Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59071 of 75802
Subject: Re: Who are you invested with? Date: 9/6/2007 1:39 PM
current 401k (and roll-over IRA) - Fidelity
+++ great service, local investment centers, lots of no load & very low cost fund options, new "brokeragelink" option allows for stock trades inside 401k
--- unless you qualify for cheap trades because of your account balance, they are not the cheapest place to buy stocks

main IRA account - Bank America
+++ convenience of investing at my bank, huge number of funds available, very cheap stock trades
--- two types of service: full service and "you're on your own"
one is expensive, the other low cost / low service

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement