Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cooljim Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: WHO CLAIMS DEPENDENT Date: 3/6/2000 8:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just had a baby and i am a single mom. I go to graduate school and will start working in Sept. of this year. My child's father works full time. Who should claim the child on next year's income tax or can both of us claim the child.Also I live with my parent's and is my father able to claim the child. Also the child has his father's last name if that makes any difference at all.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: shortamzn One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31057 of 121061
Subject: Re: WHO CLAIMS DEPENDENT Date: 3/6/2000 8:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
You need to determine if anyone of the three (you, your father, or the baby's father)is providing more than 50% of your baby's support. Whoever provides more than 50% of the support during 2000 should claim the exemption. If nobody provides more than 50% of the support, you get into a multiple support agreement situation where those who provide more than 10% of the support must decide who gets to claim the exemption.

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31125 of 121061
Subject: Re: WHO CLAIMS DEPENDENT Date: 3/7/2000 10:40 AM
Recommendations: 1
<<I just had a baby and i am a single mom. I go to graduate school and will start working in Sept. of this year. My child's father works full time. Who should claim the child on next year's income tax or can both of us claim the child.Also I live with my parent's and is my father able to claim the child. Also the child has his father's last name if that makes any difference at all.>>

As pointed out, the person providing the support of the child will generally receive the dependent deduction. You can read more on this issue in my article on dependents in the Taxes FAQ area.

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement