Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: carsonb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13999  
Subject: Who else had to diagram sentences? Date: 2/22/2002 3:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
There was an article in the Washington Post recently about how some of the public high schools in northern Virginia (some of the best public schools in the country are in this area) are teaching their A.P. English students to diagram sentences. I can't believe they are waiting till the student is nearly ready to go to college to teach what I had to start doing in the third grade.

I went to a British-run school in Paris from first grade through eighth, and we diagrammed sentences from third grade on; by the eighth grade we could do it in our sleep (we diagrammed in both English and French). Of my friends who went to grammar school in the States, the only ones who diagrammed were in Catholic schools. They usually took Latin in high school (often with a second foreign language), so they developed a very good grasp on their native language. I'm 30; I realize diagramming was probably more common many years ago, but I think it should still be taught, and early on in one's education.

So...who else on this stellar board remembers diagramming sentences, and how old were you when you did it?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sellers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 359 of 13999
Subject: Re: Who else had to diagram sentences? Date: 2/22/2002 3:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I remember diagramming sentences as a fifth grader in Seattle. Long, long time ago. Unlike most students in the class, I enjoyed the process. Joan

Author: dcarper Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 361 of 13999
Subject: Re: Who else had to diagram sentences? Date: 2/22/2002 3:47 PM
I started diagraming sentences somewhere around 3rd to 4th grade. I'm 38 now, so it wasn't that much earlier than your experience.

I was pretty good at it. (although we never got advanced enough to cover some of the things I encounter as an adult). It wus speling that I was loussy at.

David

Author: mapletree3 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 364 of 13999
Subject: Re: Who else had to diagram sentences? Date: 2/22/2002 4:18 PM
So...who else on this stellar board remembers diagramming sentences, and how old were you when you did it?

Well, I remember diagramming sentences in 6th and 7th grade, but that was in Italy, and the sentences were in Italian. And I don't remember how any more.

-mapletree

Author: jasonbarker Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 366 of 13999
Subject: Re: Who else had to diagram sentences? Date: 2/22/2002 5:22 PM

I remember diagramming sentences in third grade as well, but that's the only year I remember doing so. This was in a public school, though it should be noted that I was in a "gifted" program at the time (in Seattle, if anyone knows what I'm talking about).

jason

Author: tlbate Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 373 of 13999
Subject: Re: Who else had to diagram sentences? Date: 2/22/2002 6:26 PM
I think it was in sixth grade we began to diagram sentences. I remember the feeling of great satisfaction the whole class had after, in a team effort, we successfully diagrammed on the blackboard the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States (and yes, we did it from memory).

I am quite sure I could write the whole thing here from memory.... Naw, I'll spare you that! :-)

I do believe that diagramming sentences teaches students things that all too many of today's students have not learned: the difference between an adverb and an adjective, for instance.

Terry
who has a lot of other lengthy documents in her memory

Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 374 of 13999
Subject: Re: Who else had to diagram sentences? Date: 2/22/2002 6:48 PM

I remember doing it 6th through 8th grade - English only (no foreign languages offered at my grade school).

Jennifer

Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 383 of 13999
Subject: Re: Who else had to diagram sentences? Date: 2/24/2002 1:48 PM

I never diagrammed sentences, and I'm 45. I moved around a lot. Could be that I lived in a place where we were going to do it the next year and then moved to a place that had done it the year before.

phantomdiver

Author: Selphiras Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 385 of 13999
Subject: Re: Who else had to diagram sentences? Date: 2/24/2002 8:59 PM
Oh...diagramming. I was just telling an education/ language arts professor how much I enjoyed diagramming sentences in school! I'm also about 30 and we learned how to in grade school (Catholic) but also did it in junior high (through 8th grade). Don't recall if we did or not in high school, but we may have. It was also referred to in an English-type class in college.

Selphiras

Author: prime13 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 386 of 13999
Subject: Re: Who else had to diagram sentences? Date: 2/24/2002 10:00 PM
I enjoyed doing this also. We did this for a couple of years in elementary school. I know that I did this before the sixth grade because I moved from New Jersey to Arizona in sixth grade and, while in high school out there, a teacher in some class made a wildly off topic comment about diagramming sentences and I was the only one in the class who knew what he was talking about. He went on to spend a couple days in the class [I think it was physics but I can't remember for sure] diagramming sentences.

I think the whole diagramming sentences idea suited me because it treats language in a very mathematical manner.

prime13

Author: Selphiras Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 389 of 13999
Subject: Re: Who else had to diagram sentences? Date: 2/27/2002 11:40 AM
I've thought the same thing, being a math geek as well!

Selphiras

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement