No. of Recommendations: 1
(Who has since given away the Garmin; I now use the maps app on my phone.)

I have a Garmin, and it is similar to what you described for the TomTom: I had to download a Windows application from the Garmin web site after I had purchased a lifetime map subscription (I can redownload it when I change computers, which I did when my previous PC decided to die), install that software on my Windows machine, and now that application checks about once a month (or when I specifically tell it to check) to see if there are new maps and, if there are, it will prompt me to connect the Garmin unit to my computer (a special USB cable) and then it will download, uncompress and transfer the maps to my Garmin Nuvi 255w unit. It seems that new maps are available quarterly.

I was previously using Windows XP and Firefox. I am now using Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and Firefox.

What Paul T. describes isn't normal, and, like him, I would have suspected a virus or other malware.

Paul, do you have a fast Internet connection? (Broadband, DSL, or similar) Wireless? What is your normal download speed? (Thinking maybe the software is not getting enough time to download a set of maps.)

I generally fire up speedtest.net for testing my download speed, which just now reported 25 Mbps download ( http://www.speedtest.net/result/2448633101.png ) but normally it is closer to just 20Mbps, and at that speed, it normally takes the Garmin Lifetime Updater 45 minutes to download the maps, 5 to 10 minutes to uncompress, and about an hour to transfer the maps to the Garmin. Of course, actual downloads would be affected by speed between your PC and the Garmin web site (or wherever the maps are really hosted), not between your PC and the closest Speedtest hosting server.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement