No. of Recommendations: 0
Who knows? But the tax law is very clear: It must first go to a traditional "Conduit" IRA, and then from there you can roll it into any existing IRA, traditional or Roth. Just remember it will reduce your refund, or increase your tax paid, to convert to a Roth.

AGI for roth CONTRIBUTIONS by MFJ is $150,000. AGI for Roth CONVERSIONS is $100,000, no matter what filing status.

Check out the IRS website or for more info.

Recharacterization can only be done to "undo" a previous conversion of a traditional IRA to a Roth. There is no income limit, just a time limit. (I think recharacterization also lets you change an IRA that you opened this tax year from one type to the other, if you meet the qualifications for contributions to the second IRA.)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.