UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726007  
Subject: Who Needs Incandesent Bulbs? Date: 1/6/2014 11:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
THIS GUY.

With temps dipping into the teens last night and again tonight, I'm trying to save a Satsuma fruit tree. Cold tolerance into mid-20s until they get bigger and established. But even then mid-teens is pushing it. So covering with a blanket and hanging a 75W bulb on the lower branches. Hoping it works. Definitely wouldn't work with an LED or CFL.

I would've put a little space heater under the blanket but DW was afraid of starting a fire.

JLC
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714332 of 726007
Subject: Re: Who Needs Incandesent Bulbs? Date: 1/6/2014 12:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
THIS GIRL.

I use them to power a homemade pond heater to keep a patch of ice open for gas exchange for the koi in the pond.

LED and CFL will be worthless. I'll have to switch to a much more power consumptive pond heater that floats directly in the water.

I've hoarded as many as I can, but I'm not happy!!!!

Always ;-(
Hunzi

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714346 of 726007
Subject: Re: Who Needs Incandesent Bulbs? Date: 1/6/2014 12:54 PM
Recommendations: 3
This Guy.

When I turn on the lights inside my pole barn and the temp is below 30, only one comes on bright enough to immediately be useful. That's the cheap incandescent bulb. It's in the position where I most often need immediate bright light. The other bulbs are CFLs and they take anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes to reach full brightness.

I could get an LED light for that one position, but it's the most likely to get bashed occasionally. Effectively protecting the expensive LED light from bashing would require an energy input far greater than years of incandescent bulbs would consume.

1HF

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714361 of 726007
Subject: Re: Who Needs Incandesent Bulbs? Date: 1/6/2014 2:26 PM
Recommendations: 0
1HF, check this out.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.T...

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714367 of 726007
Subject: Re: Who Needs Incandesent Bulbs? Date: 1/6/2014 3:16 PM
I would've put a little space heater under the blanket but DW was afraid of starting a fire.

A ceramic heater should be fine if it isn't setting in foliage long/bushy enough to reach inside it. So maybe set it on a small stool.

But finding one that you can set the thermostat to, say, 40 degrees, may be difficult. And at a higher setting it'll probably take more electricity than the light bulb.

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714586 of 726007
Subject: Re: Who Needs Incandesent Bulbs? Date: 1/7/2014 6:33 PM
JLC,

So covering with a blanket and hanging a 75W bulb on the lower branches. Hoping it works. Definitely wouldn't work with an LED or CFL.

Reminds me of this:
http://boards.fool.com/27432188.aspx

They have fixed that, by the way.

Phil

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 714588 of 726007
Subject: Re: Who Needs Incandesent Bulbs? Date: 1/7/2014 6:46 PM
But finding one that you can set the thermostat to, say, 40 degrees, may be difficult.

No problem:
http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-TC-3-Thermostatically-...

Phil

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement