No. of Recommendations: 16
Who the hell cares?

When I was younger I used to get all het up about proposed Federal tax changes. As I got a bit older, I realized it was kinda like shaking my fist at and shouting at a thunderstorm.

We have exactly zero control over what the new tax schedules (if anything actually happens), and when the changes do happen they never look much like the original proposal.

All we are doing in this discussion is venting to one another. Unless, perhaps, anyone here has some juicy blackmail on a few Senators. ;-)
Whatever we like, dislike, agree with, or disagree with---has no more effect than shouting at a thunderstorm.

Well, you're right, we don't have any control... until the next election.

But I think it's good to discuss the potential impact of possible changes so that we can be ready to make any personal changes we need to make. I've been thinking about buying a bigger, more expensive house, for example. Another person might be thinking about moving to a state with much higher property taxes. These decisions MIGHT be affected by the tax changes if they go through. It's good to be informed and prepared.

And talking about it and understanding the changes allows us to tell friends who voted a certain way in the last election to say "Hey, you voted for them," when they start to complain about the changes. :-)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement