Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mmichaelbrown Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3397  
Subject: Whole Foods Date: 7/20/2012 1:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone know what's going on with Whole foods? An opportunity or trouble?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3275 of 3397
Subject: Re: Whole Foods Date: 7/21/2012 1:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
One can only guess, but Chipotle got thumped 23% today on weakening sales.

http://boards.fool.com/chipotle-dn-23-as-sales-weaken-301588...

Some might extrapolate that to indicate slowing economy and pressure on high PE stocks serving the upper middle class (who here-to-fore have continued spending for iPad and other such products).

So I would say market jitters for now. But lets hope they make their numbers when they report them.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3276 of 3397
Subject: Re: Whole Foods Date: 7/23/2012 11:56 AM
Wall Street Journal today has article saying that Whole Foods stock decline is due to sympathy with the Supervalu problem, the grocery chain that announced it is putting all or part up for sale due to poor profitability.

Groceries are receiving some attention in part due to fast rising corn and grain prices (due to drought) which will make costs rise, and stores will need to raise prices while keeping customers happy.

You can also note though that stores will have nice inventory profits as the value of stuff on their shelves increases. And also exposure to problems in Europe is minimal--making groceries an excellent holding just now. People have to eat. Cutting back on restaurant spending should help groceries. And competitors prices are rising too--maybe even faster. Even Walmart, the old Nemesis, must be seeing higher costs.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement