Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I posted the following in the credit section but someone suggested I post it here as well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions:

I have an issue that I'm having trouble finding an answer to. Sorry that this is long...

I had a federal tax lien filed against me in 1993. I had a payment arrangement with the IRS and paid monthly on this tax bill and in 2003, when I made my monthly payment they sent it back saying that their time for collecting these taxes was up and I no longer had to pay. By that point I had paid the principal back in full and some interest. I owed 9k in taxes and probably close to that in penalties and interest.

When they assessed the tax in '93 they filed a lien against me after the payment arrangement was made. I had never had a situation like this so I figured this was a standard thing. I still have the carbon copy of the lien they filed and it says on it that unless it was refiled by June of 2003 that the lien released itself. It was never refiled.

Last year, I attempted to purchase a condo and the bank inquired about the lien. The reason they knew about it was because Equifax is still showing the lien on my credit report. The other two bureaus are not. There was no information on the Equifax report about the date it was filed, date released, nothing at all.

I got a certified copy of the self-releasing lien and the bank was fine with it and the loan went through with no problems but the Homeowners board of the condo was not. They asked to see a certificate of release of lien but we did not have that since apparently my lien document was self-releasing and therefore the IRS doesn't file that certificate.

I requested and received a Certificate of Release of Lien from the IRS and as suggested by the bank, I filed that release in my local county clerk's office. A few days after filing, it showed up in the clerk's online records. This looked identical to the lien I had but said Certificate of Release at the top and it contained the 2003 Release date but the date of issuance was the present date.

I sent a copy of that Certificate to Equifax and asked them to note on my credit report that the lien was released in 2003. Instead, they updated my credit report to indicate that the lien was released in June 2010 which is incorrect. I sent them a letter certified mail with supporting documents explaining that while the official certificate was only recently filed, the lien (and Certificate) clearly indicate that the lien was in fact released in 2003.

Our condo purchase fell through for other reasons but before I attempt to purchase a home again, I'd like to get this cleared up. Equifax wrote back to me that they verified the information and that the credit report is in fact correct as is and that they would not change it.

Who would I get in touch with to try and get this fixed? Can a lawyer get this updated accurately?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement