Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 51374  
Subject: Who's your team? Date: 5/24/2006 4:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm a Cardinals fan.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CVSUSN Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25076 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/24/2006 5:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
A Cardinal fan living in the midst of Red Sox country. Miserable place in October 2004.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25078 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/24/2006 5:40 PM
Giants.

Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25079 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/24/2006 5:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'm already on record, but I ain't shy...

Cardinals

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25084 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/24/2006 6:21 PM
Go Redbirds!

Five pitchers went today with Carpenter nursing an inflamed bursa sac, whatever that means. Who gets the win? I think Wainwright, because he pitched three innings, and because he hit a home run.

Author: TheBluthCompany One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25091 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/24/2006 10:04 PM
The NL Central is well-represented.

Cincinnati Reds

Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25096 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/24/2006 10:46 PM
Recommendations: 2
The New York Yankees.

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25101 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 12:15 AM
Red Sox all the way!!!

Fan since ca 1973. '75 was a rough year, as was '86. 2004 was glorious, just glorious!!

Yoda

Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25102 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 12:28 AM
Red Sox all the way!!!

Fan since ca 1973. '75 was a rough year, as was '86. 2004 was glorious, just glorious!!

Must be too young for '67... damn young'un's. ;~)

Author: dccats5 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25104 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 7:03 AM
Yankees...2004 was the worst year, 2003 and 2001 were rough too. But 2000, 1999,1998,1996, 1978 and 1977 were pretty good!!

dccats5
(too young to list them all)

Author: dianagram Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25105 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 7:33 AM
NL: Mets
AL: Indians

Diane

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25106 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 7:58 AM
Must be too young for '67... damn young'un's. ;~)
======================

I hear about '67 from time to time, from older cousins and family members. The Red Sox are a generational passion in my family. But I was 4, so my memory is a bit dim.......

Besides, as Dennis Leary said: Hell, I'm still partying from 2004, all those other times are now long ago & far, far away!

Go Sox!!

Yoda

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25107 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 7:59 AM
Yankees...2004 was the worst year, 2003 and 2001 were rough too. But 2000, 1999,1998,1996, 1978 and 1977 were pretty good!!
==================

Must be pretty rough cheering for a team that hasn'twon a WS since Last Century!!

;-)

Yoda

Author: MonksterFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25108 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 8:24 AM
Mets and Yanks

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25109 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 8:42 AM
Cardinals. I first remember following the Cards around '56 -'57 and taking the Red Bird Express streetcar down to Sportsman's Park. My wife really isn't a big baseball fan but, since she has to commute to Chicago for work, she is following the Redbirds fairly closely so she can get some digs in to her Chicago co-workers.

Author: Danger11 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25110 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 8:46 AM
So Bluth, can you give me the scoop on Austin Kearns? How good is he?

D

Author: dccats5 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25111 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 9:08 AM
Mets and Yanks

What????????? Heathen!!!! : )

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25113 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 9:11 AM
Mets and Yanks
=========================

That's what I like about you New Yawkers............so decisive!!

;-)

Yoda

Author: dccats5 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25115 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 9:20 AM
Must be pretty rough cheering for a team that hasn'twon a WS since Last Century!!

It is, I'm just using the 8 straight AL East championships (including everyone this century) as consulation.

Author: TheBluthCompany One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25117 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 9:25 AM

I wish I could give you some help, but Kearns is a mystery to me. For years, people has been expecting him to put up numbers like this year (on pace for .300 BA, 115 R, 35 HR, 105 RBI). I worried that he's too inconsistent to keep it up. But, with his potential and age (26), maybe he just needed a few years to figure everything out.

For fantasy purposes, I'd like to have someone more consistent that him. The slumps he goes through are very frustrating. But, his numbers are tough to pass up.

Author: dianagram Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25118 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 10:26 AM

I wish I could give you some help, but Kearns is a mystery to me. For years, people has been expecting him to put up numbers like this year (on pace for .300 BA, 115 R, 35 HR, 105 RBI). I worried that he's too inconsistent to keep it up. But, with his potential and age (26), maybe he just needed a few years to figure everything out.

For fantasy purposes, I'd like to have someone more consistent that him. The slumps he goes through are very frustrating. But, his numbers are tough to pass up.

==========================

As an "early adopter" of Kearns, let me add my two cents ...

He came up as a 22-y.o. in 2002 and wowed everyone with a .315/.407/.500 line in roughly 425 PA. He also struck out once every 5.2 PA, and walked once every 8 PA (good #s for a rookie).

But the (Jim Bowden ... cough) Reds couldn't decide who they wanted in their outfield (they had also called up 22-y.o. Adam Dunn, and also had Jose Guillen and Juan Encanarcion, and Griffey's iffy status made things worse), and Kearns never got the job full-time.

Eventually, Kearns's mechanics at the plate suffered (he K'ed once every 3.3 PAs in 2004), to the point of a demotion to AAA for a while in 2005 and a line of .240/.333/.452.

Finally, he's gotten his full-time role back, and he's slowly regaining his stroke. He's still young enough to put up solid #s across the board.

Diane

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25119 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 10:31 AM
It is, I'm just using the 8 straight AL East championships (including everyone this century) as consulation
==================

The AL East Championship is nice, the WS Ring is better.......much better!

(Those 8 AL East titles haven't exactly gotten you much in the post season, for, about a decade now!)

Yoda

Author: mjdonadio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25121 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 10:42 AM
1. Red Sox
2. Astros
3. Angels
4. D-backs

As you can imagine 1986 was a particularly tough year to be a fan of those teams.

If not for a moon shot by Pujols in 2004 (has that ball re-entered the atmosphere yet?), I would have had a WS where I wanted BOTH teams to win.

At one point I would have listed being a fan of the Malins but what the owners have done to that team (win then strip to build again) for the 3rd time makes them worse than the Yankees. The only thing that saves them is beating the Yankees in 2003.

Mark

Author: dccats5 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25122 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 10:51 AM

Of course--and there are 26 ways to prove it in the bronx :)

You're right though, it's been a tough couple of years--and I don't hold out high hopes for this year either.

Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25123 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 11:06 AM
I am a Reds & D'Backs fan at the Major League level.

If it is a National vs. American game, National League all the way...

Tucson Sidewinders in AAA

Author: WotPeed Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25125 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 11:21 AM
Padres

Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25126 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 11:25 AM
It is, I'm just using the 8 straight AL East championships (including everyone this century) as consulation
==================

(Those 8 AL East titles haven't exactly gotten you much in the post season, for, about a decade now!)

Those 8 straight AL East titles have gotten us 5 trips to the World Series and 3 World Championships. Not much in the post season indeed.

Author: Marcella12 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25127 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 1:07 PM
Live in New Mexico but love the Yankees!!

Author: SirYoda Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25129 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 3:43 PM
Those 8 straight AL East titles have gotten us 5 trips to the World Series and 3 World Championships. Not much in the post season indeed.
======================

In other words, winning a Division Title gets you the same post-season performance as any number of Wild Card Teams these days..........

Yoda

Author: mcemerson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25130 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 3:48 PM

In other words, winning a Division Title gets you the same post-season performance as any number of Wild Card Teams these days...

Well... you guys just keep going for those wild cards (and counting on one not coming out of the Central or West) and we'll keep winning the division.

Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25131 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 4:01 PM
Well... you guys just keep going for those wild cards (and counting on one not coming out of the Central or West) and we'll keep winning the division.

Which, incidentally, is the only correct answer to that question. The argument, as made against the Yankees, could also stand against the Braves...who have probably been more dominant in the regular season over that stretch.

I'm with you - win that division first, worry about the rest later.

Matthew

Author: micmaz99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25132 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/25/2006 5:30 PM
I'm a White Sox fan. There is a saying on the south side that I'm for the White Sox and whoever is playing the Cubs. I have in my possession 2 tickets to the Cubs-Braves game on Saturday. I got them for free. Who should I root for? It's a toss up to me.

The last time I was at Wrigley Field was in Oct. 1969, the last game of the season, when I went to see my favorite team at the time, the Miracle Mets, play the Cubs, who choked at the end of that season. I had bets on the Mets with 2 of my friends from the beginning of the season that these Mets would finish above the Cubs. It was all about pitching back then too. At the end of the game, I waited around for the Mets to get on the bus, and talked with several of them. I met Yogi Berra who was a coach the time, Gil Hodges, Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Tommy Ageean ex_sox player, can't remember them all.

Author: jeajr One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25146 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/26/2006 4:12 AM
The Cards!

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25152 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/26/2006 1:47 PM
As previously noted, I'm a Mets fan.

I also still have a tiny bit of Dodger blue in my blood as I grew up a Brookyn Dodger fan.

If I have to name an American League team, it's the Red Sox.

Christina

Author: MonksterFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25153 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/26/2006 2:16 PM
Hey, my dad was a Mets fan so I grew up liking them. When I was a teen all of my guy friends were Yanks fans so I ended up watching them a lot. Now, I flip between the two every night and root for them both. Some nights, if the timing is right I can barely miss a pitch of either game.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25159 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/26/2006 4:55 PM
I am so happy that no one used the word "Nation" after their team. For example, as in "I'm a member of the Cardinal Nation".

Author: ehore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25164 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/26/2006 7:55 PM
I am so happy that no one used the word "Nation" after their team. For example, as in "I'm a member of the Cardinal Nation".

That's 'cause Cardinal fans are bigger than that!

Author: bdluckyshot Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25166 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/26/2006 8:51 PM
Devil Rays. Seriously.

Author: mhm6487 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25194 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/28/2006 1:57 PM
Go Braves!!! I'm a long time Braves fan - back to the Boston and Milwaukee days. One of the besxt days of my life was the day in 1964 when Furman Bisher announced the Braves were coming to Atlanta.

Author: mhm6487 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25195 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/28/2006 2:02 PM
I met Yogi Berra who was a coach the time, Gil Hodges, Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Tommy Ageean ex_sox player, can't remember them all.

How about Nolan Ryan? Wasn't he on that team?

Author: Horum Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25208 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/28/2006 8:40 PM
I'm a Baltimore Orioles fan- born and raised.

Go O's!

Author: micmaz99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25211 of 51374
Subject: Re: Who's your team? Date: 5/28/2006 10:42 PM

"How about Nolan Ryan?"

I don't remember seeing him or remember that he was on the team. He was on that team. It seemed like the pitchers in general weren't really interested in talking to you.

I was surprised to see that both Don Cardwell, an ex-cub I remember, and Tug McGraw was on this team too.

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/historical/player_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&baseballScope=mlb&subScope=teamCode&teamPosCode=NYN&statType=2&sitSplit=&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=1969

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (42) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement