Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: edppas Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2786  
Subject: Why aim for the stars? Date: 10/9/2000 12:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I think an amusing point about Ericsson is their lack of stated ambition.

There is an old saying "Aim for the stars and you'll reach the treetops", this does not seem to reflect the sentiment of Ericsson.

I have followed the company for many years and I remember in 1991, when the then President stated that Ericssons aim was to be one of the top five suppliers of Telecom equipment in the world.

I never heard anything else about this until in autumn of 1996 when it was quietly stated that they were number 1 (that obviously depends on how you count but it is possible to argue that they were and still are) supplier of telecom equipment.

Now Ericsson's stated ambition is to "Become number 1 in Mobile Internet", but it is arguable that they already are so again it is not very ambitious.

What they might achive in the next five years is anyones guess...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BearTN Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1189 of 2786
Subject: Re: Why aim for the stars? Date: 10/9/2000 2:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Now Ericsson's stated ambition is to "Become number 1 in Mobile Internet", but it is arguable that they already are so again it is not very ambitious.

Mobile internet is a small market right now, but it has the potential to be huge. For Ericsson to maintain that #1 status is a very big goal. I think that this could be a cultural thing. I think Europeans are a little undertated compared to US companies.

You said that you've been following ERICY since 1991. It looks like their split adjusted price back then was around $1. Even with the latest drop, that's a pretty good return in 9+ years.

Author: dingof Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1191 of 2786
Subject: Re: Why aim for the stars? Date: 10/10/2000 12:33 PM
I think we need to ignore the Market flactuations and think long-term.

Author: edppas Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1196 of 2786
Subject: Re: Why aim for the stars? Date: 10/12/2000 4:32 PM
You're not wrong.

Would have been a great return, but I wrote "followed", I didn't say that I had actually held the stock all that time. I was less foolish when I was younger, so I sold them several times thinking that they couldn't go higher. Ofcourse they did and I missed out on a lot of that potential return by being out of the stock for long periods....

Not sure if I'll ever learn but I think I am less likely to make that mistake again.

Author: geho Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1203 of 2786
Subject: Re: Why aim for the stars? Date: 10/16/2000 5:39 AM
The same goes for me.
I started working for ERICY late 92 when the rollout of GSM networks started in Europe. I was impressed by the products, but that time my goal was a shiny new car. Had I put the money into my company instead, well... But now since '97 I am invested and the return is quite good so far. And definetely I will not miss out on the coming technoloy shift (mobile voice to mobile IP).
Gerd

Author: edppas Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1209 of 2786
Subject: Re: Why aim for the stars? Date: 10/18/2000 12:42 PM
Nei Ho,

Still in GZ now? How are things there these days? I have some GZ history as well, but I think my trail has gone cold....

Choi Jin/
Leung Dim

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement