UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: crre Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49438  
Subject: why am i so popular all of a sudden? Date: 10/30/2007 1:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
about six months ago i got a call from someone in the "executive search team" of a major company in my field. last week i got an email from another such team in another such company. and today i got a second email from yet a third company. never have i been approached before except by people who knew me personally.

i can't think of anything that has happened recently to trigger such a downpour. does anyone know how these things work? did i get on some kind of a list? is it just coincidence? is there some new theory of recruiting that is revolutionizing how these teams do their jobs? any other ideas?

c.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45601 of 49438
Subject: Re: why am i so popular all of a sudden? Date: 10/30/2007 2:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
"Contact by Headhunters is a random event, unless you seek them out yourself."

Au contraire.

A famous story circulates about a professional who was constantly and promptly promoted up the line. His technique was to recommend his boss for the job any time a headhunter called him. His bosses kept leaving the company and he got promoted to replace them.

Quality headhunters are expert at seeking people with certain kinds of job titles/skills/experience. You can count on them to be working a major employer in that field every possible way. If a headhunter finds you it can be from--

A co-worker recommended you
Headhunter placed someone at your firm and now has contact who can supply other names, organization charts, phone directories, etc.
Patents, publications, convention/meeting registration list, magazine subscriptions, news articles all provide names of people working at your location.
Someone else in your organization called headhunter and your name came up in discussions.

So yes, you may have contacted a headhunter, or headhunter may have gotten your name through networking. Good headhunters have contact names at most major employers in their field.

Ethical question: If a headhunter calls you, is it ethical to give him names of others in your company? Some say yes. Some say no. If phones are tapped, your days could be numbered if you do not immediately hang up on the headhunter. But you can bet hiring managers are routinely in touch with headhunters when they have openings to fill.

Author: straitarrow Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45611 of 49438
Subject: Re: why am i so popular all of a sudden? Date: 10/31/2007 3:56 PM
Recommendations: 3
"about<sic> <Correct is About> six months ago i<sic, Correct = "I"> got a call from someone in the "executive search team" of a major company in my field. last<sic, Correct = Last> week i<sic, Correct = I> got an email from another such team in another such company. <sic, Correct is Today> and today i<sic, Correct=I> got a second email from yet a third company. never<sic, Correct=Never> have i<sic, Correct=I> been approached before except by people who knew me personally.

i<sic> can't think of anything that has happened recently to trigger such a downpour. does<sic, Correct=Does> anyone know how these things work? did i<sic> get on some kind of a list? is<sic> it just coincidence? is<sic> there some new theory of recruiting that is revolutionizing how these teams do their jobs? any<sic> other ideas? - crre | Date: 10/30/2007 1:28:10 PM | Number: 45599

"Point One: You need to have someone else carefully review all of your written job search communication materials, pay more attention yourself, or do everything by telephone.
[...]"
Kahuna,CFA

Date: 10/30/2007 2:33:21 PM | Number: 45610

----------------------------------------------------------------

Good suggestions Kahuna,CFA.
Maybe you should help this poster correct his grammar problems too.
(We all make mistakes!)
sa

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23667472&bid=100146

"...Those are just some of the ones that I can name off the top of my head. I do not believe and any individual investors every lost any money in any of those cases."

Author: ajaskey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45620 of 49438
Subject: Re: why am i so popular all of a sudden? Date: 11/3/2007 10:11 AM
Recommendations: 1
I keep my SW Engineering resume on Monster (since about 2000) to gauge market strength. The number of emails I get from recruiters/companies is proportional to the strength of the economy. I've notice an increase in the number of employment solicitations I've received in the past few months.

The added benefit is that with my resume out there, (baited hook in the water), I may get an offer better than what I currently have. There isn't any downside as the recruiters cannot see my name and only email an anonymous Monster ID.

Andy

Author: regattagirl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45630 of 49438
Subject: Re: why am i so popular all of a sudden? Date: 11/7/2007 6:23 AM
Recommendations: 1
i can't think of anything that has happened recently to trigger such a downpour. does anyone know how these things work? did i get on some kind of a list? is it just coincidence? is there some new theory of recruiting that is revolutionizing how these teams do their jobs? any other ideas?

The instance 6 months ago and the two recent ones probably aren't related but the two recent ones are related to each other. What probably happened is some company is looking for someone with your same job title probably in your same industry. This same company hired at least two different search firms to help them find candidates. Both search firms used the same method to find someone with the same title in the same industry (you).

One trick search firms use to call and figure out who is who in a company is to call the main number and ask for Accounts Receivable, for example. Then when A/R picks up the phone it goes like this:

A/R: Hello, Accounts Receivable.
Caller: Oh...this isn't the VP of Research and Development?
A/R: No, this is Accounts Receivable. You need to talk to Bob Brown.
Caller: Yes, that's who I asked for. How'd I get you?
A/R: I'm not sure. Sorry about that. Sometimes the switchboard messes up. Let me transfer you.
Caller: Thanks.
A/R transfers the call to Bob Brown while the headhunter hangs up and makes himself a note that Bob Brown is the VP of R&D and to call him back later.

Or they both bought the same list from somewhere with your title on it.

Hope this helps,
Regatta

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement