UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jeanpaulsartre Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 255  
Subject: Re: Building and Thinking Date: 2/20/2002 12:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3

Why do people work so hard to contradict the notion that building is a profound act? Is it really necessary to compromise a thoughtful discussion with trivial misconceptions.

Why do they hate France? Why do they not value truth? When they have trivial misconceptions, and then stridently defend their right to possess them, and end up reducing their own humanity in the process, it turns out the misconceptions are not so trivial.

The most decisive move I think that eliminated the value of critical thinking came about a hundred years ago, with the rise of psychology. Psychology generally and ominously replaced another inexact science, rhetoric, in the liberal curriculum. But unlike rhetoric, psychology taught no respect for the cultivation of deep thinking--rather, it merely sought to explain deep or critical thinking as just another subcategory of behavior, and made of it another trite citation within a bunch of banal categories forged out of behavioral tests on laboratory rats and college sophomores.

What they don't realize is how much richer their lives would be if they stopped comparing humanity to coral. News flash: we're better than coral.

Architecture is the art or practice of designing or building structures for human use. The key word is all of that is human. Even dictionaries have been omitting this word from the definition of architecture for the past ten years. I don't know precisely what to do about it either, but I hang out on the Internet a lot, because retreating to the academy seems like a retreat in the wrong direction.

jps

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement