UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: owt Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 373  
Subject: Why Handspring Visor Date: 11/17/2000 7:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
So let's get talking. While the PocketPC (from MS) based Palm like devices have some interesting features like MP3 or Video support, I really think PalmOS is the best OS out there for a PDA. But there are several vendors. I have not had my hands on the Sony device yet so I will leave it out here. Actually I would like to explain why I think I would go for a Handspring Visor.

First the bad point. The PalmV looks so much better and more stable, but looks are not everything. You want the best bang for the buck too.

Here is where Handspring rules them all I think.

1. The machines are relatively cheap compared to others.

2. They also look good and you have several colors in the basic models and the platinium look of the faster one seems really nice.

3. Clicking around on them, the buttons and interface just looks this tiny bit more comfortable. You have a better calender and they did other tweaks to PalmOS that just make it a little bit more usable out of the box.

4. It is not that much bigger than the Palm V.

5. And this is the biggest point. It has the springboard module which lets you upgrade the device. There are already some great things out there.

You can for example get guides from Lonely Planet if you are traveling and there will surely be more of those.
You can get several MP3 players, with one not even making the Visor any bigger.
You can have more storage.
You can have special services for doctors or other special fields.
You can theoretically use the Visor Phone which lets you use the Visor as a mobile phone, but I think it is too big. But new versions of these things will come that will be better.
There are several small modems to get your internet connection.

But now for the best of those. You want to be ready for the future and bluetooth is coming. If the first bluetooth capable phones come in bigger numbers something like mid next years (I presume) then I do not want a new palm but I would like my palm to connect to the mobile phone while the phone is still in my pocket. That is cool interenet connection and will make using the palm so much easier for reading WAP pages or sending SMS messages.

You will also see new Visor Phone like devices that are smaller and have a bluetooth based headset. That is really something that would be good in my mind as a second phone.

I really think that bluetooth will be important for such devices and if you want one now, then you should be ready for a bluetooth upgrade that will get your wireless syncing and mobile internet on your palm.

I know I want to. And I will not buy a second palm Vxblue or something in 6 months.

Oliver
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Wireless Buyer's Guide Page
Shopping, or just curious? Everything you need to know about wireless and mobile communication is here.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement