UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: synchronicity Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883927  
Subject: Why I don't like LBYM Date: 5/22/2001 2:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 205
As I made my last post, I mentioned religion (in the context of wedding ceremonies), and thought "gee, I should make it clear that I'm not espousing any belief or set of beliefs, I hope someone doesn't start on a flame war. Or criticizes me for living with my wife before we got married. Or..."

And I realized why I will not be spending much more time at this board. I actually do like LBYM, in terms of the process of "Living Below Your Means. What I don't like is LBYM the board. This board.

Why? Because of the plethora of off-topic, highly contentious posts that seem to dominate the board.

Imagine a newcomer arriving at this board. Maybe they are already good at saving money and are looking for additional tips and tricks. Maybe they are one of the many people saddled with debt, who has finally said "darn it, I'm going to get my life in order. I'm going to clean up my finances so my family and I can have a better life." So they look for help and come to this board, hoping to find sage advice so they can turn their life around.

Instead, they find a large group of people, many of whom are being very judgmental, squabbling over topics (birth control, sexual orientation, religion, etc.) that have virtually nothing to do with the concept of getting ones finances in order and learning to save money. It would be like someone out-of-shape mustering their willpower and bringing themselves to the gym, ready to take a life altering step, oinly to find the gym filled with a bunch of people standing around, occupying most of the weights, arguing ferociously about tax cuts or school choice or...well, you get the idea.

There are some people here who are gems. I don't want to name names for fear of excluding anyone. But, I wonder how long they will stay here. It always seems that someone is around to take the place of those who leave (OK, I will name two names. RecoveringFool created the first FAQ, only to leave the board in disgust. Fortunately WonderPup has picked up the torch and done the revised FAQ), but the community is lessened by peoples departures.

This is sounding more harsh and judgmental than I want it to (speaking of being judgmental, here I am dissing an entire board), and I apologize for that. However, I think we would be well served to remember that the purpose of this board is (IMHO) to help people learn to live below their means. The occasional off-topic post is bound to occur, and those that are amusing or the like are fine. But it would help to avoid contentious postings as much as possible. Recently this board seems to be the dominated by OT arguments.

I wish the best to everyone in their quest to Live Below Their Means, however each of us defines it.

-synchronicity
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement