Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 252  
Subject: Why I Requested This Board Date: 7/10/2003 1:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Given that the Fool is primarily populated with people who are looking for financial information, it seemed like a place for professionals in the industry might be in order. Somewhere to discuss career issues, new laws, etc.

That, and I'm in accounting school.:) Can't wait to meet you all!

Best,
MsPoppy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 7/10/2003 1:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Nice idea, MS Poppy.

I'm not a CPA, but I will be lurking just to see what you guys are up to.

Best of luck to you.

Author: abbagirl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 7/10/2003 1:42 PM
I'll be a lurker too. Have kids who just went into their own business so I'm hoping to pick up expert tips :) I think this board will do great!

Author: Delia2002 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 7/10/2003 5:03 PM
Fantastic! Excellent idea Ms. Poppy!

Author: ccschafer150 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 7/10/2003 5:20 PM
I'm a CPA, licensed in 2 states that didn't care that my BA is in mathematics and I didn't take any accounting classes in college. I did pass the CPA exam and got the needed work experience, in that order. Since then I've earned a MS in taxation and am smarter about taxes than auditing.

Glad that you got this board started, MsPoppy.

Choc

Author: CPAgentPreppie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 7/13/2003 9:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'm not a CPA, but I will be lurking just to see what you guys are up to.

I suggest we shred the board.

Agent

Author: Maddjoka One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 7/29/2003 3:19 PM
I'm an accounting student as well. I'll be graduating in either December (if I'm lucky) or May, and then it's out into the auditing world. So I'm largely here to ask questions of the real CPA's about getting hired, taking the test, etc.

Cheers!

--
MJ

Author: CPAgentPreppie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 7/29/2003 3:47 PM
taking the test

AKA professional hazing.

Agent

Author: MsPoppy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 7/29/2003 5:15 PM
I'm an accounting student as well. I'll be graduating in either December (if I'm lucky) or May, and then it's out into the auditing world. So I'm largely here to ask questions of the real CPA's about getting hired, taking the test, etc.

Welcome, welcome! This is a fairly new board, and we haven't generated much traffic yet, so tell all of you Foolish friends to give us a visit. I'm hoping to get at least 25 regulars by the end of the year. That way, we can all learn from our various experiences. In the meantime, throw your questions out there. If I don't know, I'll try to find out.

Welcome again!

Author: CPAScott Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 7/30/2003 11:20 PM

Hi MJ ...

Just a point of clarification about the Uniform CPA Exam. Depending on the jurisdiction in which you intend to apply for a license, the 150-hour education requirement may be in effect. This means, in short, that you need a Master's degree before you can be licensed. Those states that currently do not have the 150-hour requirement will not have reciprocity with those who do. By 2009 (I think) ALL states will require 150-hours.

CPAScott

Author: LeBeancountiere Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 8/1/2003 3:13 PM
WOW!!! An official bean counter board! :-)

If any of you are kind of twisted, in one way or another, may I suggest that you visit the following discussion board:

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=111782

Best regards,

LeBean :-)

...who attempts to count a pretty mean bean.

Author: admiraltroll Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 8/2/2003 1:22 AM
Hi LeBean,

So glad that you've found an adult home at TMF after that fantasy "Mermaid" board of yours!

BTW I'll let you explain the SAB acronym as I don't want to be killed :-)

Just remember that in the UK it is muttered with awe by those not entitled to be called one!!

Regards
Philip

Author: LeBeancountiere Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 8/2/2003 11:45 AM
Recommendations: 2
Hi Admiral:

"BTW I'll let you explain the SAB acronym as I don't want to be killed :-)"

And you think that I am going to explain what they call bean counters over in England??? Hey, I might be a little bit twisted but I am not that twisted. :-)

Go have another mug of Watney's Red Barrel. :-)

LeBean :-)

...a CPA (Certified Party Animal) since 1980. :-)

Author: Maddjoka One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75 of 252
Subject: Re: Why I Requested This Board Date: 11/3/2003 10:19 PM
CPAScott sez:

Just a point of clarification about the Uniform CPA Exam. Depending on the jurisdiction in which you intend to apply for a license, the 150-hour education requirement may be in effect. This means, in short, that you need a Master's degree before you can be licensed.

Yeah, I know. I would have graduated last May had that not been the case. I rather quickly learned that many of the firms won't touch students until they have all their credits. We implemented the UCPA law in Alaska about three years ago, but nobody ever really decided what those thirty additional credits needed to be. It could be underwater basket weaving classes for all they care. Some of the hardcore students are going for a second major, or they're going online for their Master's (Univ. of Alaska doesn't have a Master of Accountancy, just an MBA in general business), and I personally am working on my history minor and the other accounting electives that I didn't need for my degree.

The firms around here don't seem to care if you have a Master's, saying that I'll learn more about accounting in the first year with them than I did in school. So I'll finish up my credits, then take the CPA in April, try for MCSE certification later next year, then start on a Masters in IT or something like that in 2005-06. I would like to have an advanced degree at some point, partly for the extra money, but mostly for the expertise.

That's the plan... subject to change, see dealer for details, offer not valid in Utah.

--
MJ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement