No. of Recommendations: 6
Why in the world did they take that ship out knowing the seriousness of the storm?

Depending on a variety of circumstances, there are times when it's safer to be out at sea rather than have the ship crushed while at dock. And there have been plenty of single-handed sailors who have waited out hurricanes at sea. They lash down the tiller, furl the sails, and wait the storm out below. So heading out is not as risky as it might appear. Better to be at sea, rather than have the boat destroyed at the pier. I've lived on the east coast most of my life, and every story about hurricanes seems to have a picture of dozens of boats piled high on shore.

But it appears that they didn't didn't take a good course when they left. I don't know what caused the ship to take on water, but a lot of sailors would have headed more to the east to avoid the storm. I suppose that once the crew is able to talk we'll hear more about what happened. The decision lay with the captain, of course, and he's presumed dead, so we'll never know exactly.

But cheers to the Coast Guard for a great rescue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDlc1slA8PA

Nancy
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement