Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: trecer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 244  
Subject: Re: Friedman editorial on India Date: 6/10/2005 12:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Why is it Indians who are poor are poor Indians
and Americans who are poor are lower-income Americans ?

You're right, there's a disparity between the terms which is probably not being well thought through by the people who use them this way. But when you think about it, the "lower income Americans" are still much better off than the "poor" Indians, no? Doesn't that partly justify the different terms being used? The term "lower income Indians" would imply those who are "comparatively not well off, but at least able to buy the basic necessities"; "lower income," in other words, while contrasting badly with the middle income in the same country, would imply at least a basic income level. But in India's case, we're talking about some really downright "poor" people, perhaps not as bad off as indigenous people in some highlands of the Andes or the lower strata of many African nations, but nonethless, "poor," and not "lower income." Of course, as I'm writing this, it occurs to me that poverty is always a relative term. I grew up in a destitute indigenous village in Mexico, and I know that it's difficult to define a point of knowledge from which one could assess all income levels in the world from the same vantage point. What would be considered "poor" in one country isn't necessarily quite experienced the same way in another (even though abject poverty involving malnutrition, disease and high mortality rates is never "relative"). I think there's also a strange resistance in the U.S. to calling any Americans "poor," even though perhaps the term would often be more accurate. We live under the propaganda that everyone in this country is enjoying the fruits of prosperity in at least some basic way, which is kind of an illusion, and increasingly more so.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement