UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lorenzo2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10363  
Subject: Re: Quicken has a life of its own... Date: 8/4/2006 2:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
why is this?

Just old fashioned, I guess. But I doubt if I spend more than one or two hours a month entering data into Quicken:

- I write about 8 checks a month, and enter them into Quicken as I write them; that takes no time at all. (As I said earlier, I abandoned a paper check register years ago.) Reconciling once a month takes probably five minutes.

- My wife writes about 25-30 checks a month(?) and still uses a paper check register. Entering her checks once a month and reconciling her account is probably the single most time-consuming thing I do in Quicken, maybe 20 minutes/month.

- Lots of investment stuff: several brokerage accounts, a Treasury account, savings bonds, mutual funds, etc. But mainly this amounts to entering dividends, monthly or quarterly. I make maybe 3 or 4 sales or purchases each month; again, just a few minutes for each.

- I don't obsess over stock and fund prices - maybe once a month I enter closing prices (manually!) into Quicken so I can track how I'm doing.

- I don't track credit card use in Quicken, so that probably saves a lot of time. I use credit cards sparingly, review the monthly statement, and send 'em money.

And as I mentioned earlier, I use spreadsheets extensively to track things: tax data, mortgage, cost basis of investments. Though I might be able to do some of those things with Quicken, I really enjoy messing around with spreadsheets - and I think I do a better job of dealing with splits and spinoffs and other basis adjustments than Quicken does.

Anyway, I'm retired, and have been for about 6 years now. If I saved an appreciable amount of time by downloading data, my wife would just find more stuff for me to do, and my golf game would suffer.

Lorenzo
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement