UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127220  
Subject: Re: Selling: more of a rant than anything Date: 3/5/2013 11:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Why stop showing a home prior to any particular offerror's contingencies clearing, and earnest money going hard? It ain't a deal until the check clears, but there ain't even a commitment until the earnest money is "earnest."

In my experience of selling homes (7 of my own and 4 inherited) once the status changes to 'pending' or even 'pending, taking backup offers' - it's generally not that the seller is unwilling to continue showing (although some sellers are very happy to not have to keep their home in show-ready condition, so they may be unwilling to show), it's that the buyers are unwilling to look. In really hot markets, this may be different, but my most recent sale was into a pretty hot market (11 showings scheduled in the first 4 days, under contract in 4 days, closed in 33 days) and the showings being scheduled dried up as soon as the 'pending' status went up - I only got one more showing request scheduled, and that was on the same day that the status got changed, so it may have been before the status actually changed.

When we're showing rentals, we keep showing & taking apps until we have an applicant who's moved in. We take diligence/credit-check/app-fee checks with each rental app, but only cash the 1st keeping the rest on standby in order of arrival priority.

Different process, often with the 'pending' status being unknown to the potential renter until they actually come to view the property and attempt to submit the application.

OT - what do you do with the 'standby' checks once a renter moves in? Return them, destroy them, something else? Personally, I don't think I'd bother to fill out a 'standby' rental application if I had to leave a check.

AJ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement