UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883895  
Subject: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/3/2012 6:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Prompted by my new Kindle arriving today:

I've gotten some comments from people in Real Life about my Kindle being a "luxury" or something I only have because I like tech (uh, no I like to read). Since I'm a huge data person, I've been tracking what I've spent on the Kindles since I first got them. So here's the math.

Hardware Costs: $816.97
Kindle 2 $359
Kindle 2 Case $29.99
Kindle 3 & Case (Free, gift to husband from his family)
Kindle Touch $149
Kindle Touch Case $59.99
Kindle PaperWhite $179.00
Kindle PaperWhite Case $39.99

Cost of Books: $2,127.56

These seem like huge numbers, but it's actually a savings. I've read 311 books on my Kindles since February 2009 so average cost was $6.84 per book. I've saved through cheaper prices then the print copy, special deals (get it for $1 today, back to full price tomorrow), and borrowing books from the local library and Amazon Prime Lending Library. Before the Kindle I didn't even have a library card (other people's germs, scribbles, etc. no thanks). Before this I purchased hardback (larger type, ink less likely to come off on hands, books don't fall apart in one reading).

So books that would have cost me $15-$30 a copy, are now less than $7. I don't have to use any gas to go get books and I saving on sales tax (less even when I do need to pay on certain books).

So assuming $20 a hardback:

$6,220-$2,127.56-$816.67=$3,275.77 savings

If I don't include the hardware it's even better (since it probably saved me at least that much in not needing to purchase shelves). All the hardware is still getting used. My parents have taken the old Kindles and are still on my account, so they have been reading the books I buy as well (and hey, no shipping fees to send books across the country).

I could have had even bigger savings if I had gotten a library card sooner or picked up free versions of classic literature instead of buying them (get versions with working footnotes or better translations).

So yes, the Kindle is still saving me money and now has me back to using the library. Since I just started using the library and the Amazon Prime library last month, I expect even bigger savings by next year.

Lara Amber
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement