UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 881725  
Subject: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/3/2012 6:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Prompted by my new Kindle arriving today:

I've gotten some comments from people in Real Life about my Kindle being a "luxury" or something I only have because I like tech (uh, no I like to read). Since I'm a huge data person, I've been tracking what I've spent on the Kindles since I first got them. So here's the math.

Hardware Costs: $816.97
Kindle 2 $359
Kindle 2 Case $29.99
Kindle 3 & Case (Free, gift to husband from his family)
Kindle Touch $149
Kindle Touch Case $59.99
Kindle PaperWhite $179.00
Kindle PaperWhite Case $39.99

Cost of Books: $2,127.56

These seem like huge numbers, but it's actually a savings. I've read 311 books on my Kindles since February 2009 so average cost was $6.84 per book. I've saved through cheaper prices then the print copy, special deals (get it for $1 today, back to full price tomorrow), and borrowing books from the local library and Amazon Prime Lending Library. Before the Kindle I didn't even have a library card (other people's germs, scribbles, etc. no thanks). Before this I purchased hardback (larger type, ink less likely to come off on hands, books don't fall apart in one reading).

So books that would have cost me $15-$30 a copy, are now less than $7. I don't have to use any gas to go get books and I saving on sales tax (less even when I do need to pay on certain books).

So assuming $20 a hardback:

$6,220-$2,127.56-$816.67=$3,275.77 savings

If I don't include the hardware it's even better (since it probably saved me at least that much in not needing to purchase shelves). All the hardware is still getting used. My parents have taken the old Kindles and are still on my account, so they have been reading the books I buy as well (and hey, no shipping fees to send books across the country).

I could have had even bigger savings if I had gotten a library card sooner or picked up free versions of classic literature instead of buying them (get versions with working footnotes or better translations).

So yes, the Kindle is still saving me money and now has me back to using the library. Since I just started using the library and the Amazon Prime library last month, I expect even bigger savings by next year.

Lara Amber
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867732 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/3/2012 6:16 PM
Recommendations: 1
I love my Kindle too (invaluable for work travel!), but the library is still a heck of a lot cheaper. I do use it for most of my reading...

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867734 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/3/2012 6:21 PM
Recommendations: 3
picked up free versions of classic literature instead of buying them (get versions with working footnotes or better translations).
I've found this makes a huge difference on the Kindle. I read a lot of classic literature in translation, and there are some things out there that are horrible, and some great. Some have notes and some don't. I've found it is often worth it paying the buck or two for the slightly nicer version than the totally free version, even for things centuries out of copyright.

On a related note I recently read The Iliad in my reading group and we all read different translations (some of us juggled several), for the heck of it. They ranged from unintelligible doggerel (Pope) to vibrant and earthy (Lombardo), to elegantly readable (Fagles). Amazing the variance! So too with the Kindle...

Author: bookie71 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867736 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/3/2012 7:40 PM
Recommendations: 0
Our library has ebooks for the Nookbut I'm not sure about the Kindle. I have neither, but my son has a Nook.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867737 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/3/2012 7:44 PM
Our library has ebooks for the Nookbut I'm not sure about the Kindle. I have neither, but my son has a Nook.

You may be able to read both on both:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=nook+a...

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867749 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/4/2012 9:09 AM
Recommendations: 4
I love my Kindle too (invaluable for work travel!), but the library is still a heck of a lot cheaper. I do use it for most of my reading...

Absolutely. I got a kindle last year and I've probably spent way more on books then I was before. Some of the paperbacks that are 5.99 at Target are 8.99 on Kindle!! This pisses me off and many times I won't buy them just for that reason.

I do buy a lot of independent authors and free books, so some of it may balance out. Still. I went to the library the other day because I couldn't stomach the thought of paying 13.99 for a non-physical book. I think ebook pricing is currently WAY too high.

Author: FlippoHip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867768 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/4/2012 12:04 PM
I got a Kindle Fire last year and I really like it. I read so much more now that I can carry a library in my purse.

It's also nice that I can synch it with my phone, and if I end up waiting around for something (waiting room, daughters taekwando practice, being the first person knocked out of a poker match) I can read my books. It opens to the last page read on any of my devices and saves, so no matter what I pick up next, I am on the right page.

It's also nice for travel, because I loaded a few games on it and when the little one gets bored in the back-seat, I can hand it to her and she can play games or watch the movies that I download to it.
I really don't like her playing with my phone, and playing with the kindle is a compromise. I don't miss calls, she doesn't change settings or run the battery in the phone down. Happy-happy.

My mom sees it as a status symbol thing, but she also thinks shopping at Target is uppity.

Author: ncharge Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867779 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/4/2012 5:56 PM
Recommendations: 2
I think my Kindle has saved me money. I am a big reader, and I have bought many books for 99 cents. All the book I bought were cheaper than the hardcopy would have been. And I don't have a convenient library where I live. But, my favorite thing about the Kindle is that it decluttered my house! I have nearly 500 books on the Kindle that are not stacked on shelves or tables. In fact, I intentionally replaced many of my hardbacks with softcopy books and I was able to give away something like 8 boxes of books. My library is now very comfortable (only about 6 sets of shelves that don't overwhelm the small space) and a pleasing place to be.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867780 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/4/2012 6:51 PM
If anyone is interested in older books that are no longer covered by copyright, Project Gutenberg has a growing supply of free ebooks.

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Nancy

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867789 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/5/2012 9:06 AM
But, my favorite thing about the Kindle is that it decluttered my house!

Absolutely! I am in the process of decluttering my library as well, although it's taking a while I have a box or two of books at least that I will give away. However...I do reread books and I like having some on the shelves so I do not plan to give away all, just anything I will never read again.

That doesn't change the fact that kindle pricing on 10-20 year old paperbacks is insane. I know it isn't amazon's fault, but I think the publishers are idiots.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867791 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/5/2012 10:02 AM
DW bought DGD a Nook about two years ago. I told her that she should have gotten the Kindle from Amazon instead, so she bought one for herself. Now she is spending $50 or $45 every month for Kindle books.
;-(

One of the advantages of the Kindle is that many out of print books can be purchased an a minimal cost compared to trying to find the original hard-cover books. DW mentioned to me that our neighbor & dentist is reading Roy Chandler’s “The Arrowmaker”. It is the first book of the 5 book Pikes County series by Chandler (See; http://www.amazon.com/Roy-F.-Chandler/e/B001K81H3U/ref=s9_si... ) and costs about $50 in hardcover and $5 for the Kindle. I had originally purchased the series through Precision Shooting as the books were reprinted in 200 through 2004. I just purchased “The Warrior”(See; http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-County-Pennsylvania-Frontier-e... ) and “Shatto” (See; http://www.amazon.com/Shatto-County-Pennsylvania-Frontier-eb... ) which probably would have been the first and maybe the last books or the series and are out of print.
;-)

C.J.V. - might hafta buy a Kindle now, me

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867792 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/5/2012 10:09 AM
One of the things I love about my Kindle is a Chrome app that lets me push anything in my browser (blogs, articles etc.) to either the Kindle or iPad (I think I could have set up for PC,iPhone, etc, if I'd wanted to). That's been very handy.

I'm with the folks that see the advantage of the declutter factor. It also makes traveling with reading material so much easier. DH doesn't get the declutter part--if he spends money, he wants a physical "thing" for it. Me, as long as I've got the data, I'm okay with spending "book" money on it.

cm

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867793 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/5/2012 10:18 AM
Absolutely. I got a kindle last year and I've probably spent way more on books then I was before. Some of the paperbacks that are 5.99 at Target are 8.99 on Kindle!! This pisses me off and many times I won't buy them just for that reason.

I do buy a lot of independent authors and free books, so some of it may balance out. Still. I went to the library the other day because I couldn't stomach the thought of paying 13.99 for a non-physical book. I think ebook pricing is currently WAY too high.

I agree on some titles that prices are too high. (I've paid $14 for an e-book, but those are non-fiction mostly science titles where I figure they aren't going to sell that many copies and years of research went into the work). I think the prices are going to start to drop, or hold steady while inflation goes up (so an effective drop).

First because several publishing houses just lost court cases on charges of price fixing and others are in the process. So the "we tell you what you can sell our books for" is going to go away and places like Amazon can get back to selling certain titles for a loss. Second, as library systems offer more and more e-book titles for borrowing consumers have the decision "do I buy this title or do I get it for free but have to wait to get it until the person in front of me returns it". I think a person is more likely to go ahead and pay $5 for the convenience of not waiting then $10. Third, the rise of smaller "presses" and self-publishing is going to put pressure on it as well. Why should I pay $15 for an ebook new release when I have so many other titles to read for $1-$3 and next year I can get the exact same e-book version for $8? A Possible Fourth, I wonder if Amazon Prime is going to test the waters on for-profit libraries. I'm getting to borrow 12 books a year for $79 (plus the two day shipping, etc). Would I and others be willing to pay an extra $25 for 24 or 36 books a year if they also drastically increased the selection? Especially if it meant getting to borrow books for "free" that library systems probably won't purchase for another year or longer?

A friend of mine is in the middle of getting her Masters in Library Sciences and she's really liking the way libraries are looking to update themselves into "community hubs" instead of "old lady shushing you and driving the kids out". Our library system has completely revamped in the last few years and went from one of the worst library systems in the state to winning a national award in 2010. It has a cafe, a big indoor "quiet" play area for kids, comfy chairs, skylights and nice carpeting. They offer classes and workshops and even "homework hours" for the kids. It feels like a place you would want to just sit and read for a couple hours.

Lara Amber

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867798 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/5/2012 12:00 PM
One of the things I love about my Kindle is a Chrome app that lets me push anything in my browser (blogs, articles etc.) to either the Kindle or iPad (I think I could have set up for PC,iPhone, etc, if I'd wanted to). That's been very handy.

You can read Kindle books on computers and nooks and phones too. There's some links at the bottom here:

http://desertdavesteotwawkisurvivalguide.blogspot.com/2011/1...

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867809 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/5/2012 2:32 PM
Recommendations: 5
My favorite Kindle benefit is the free excerpt. Most available books will push you the first chapter, or a beginning excerpt, for free. I can read a dozen or so before deciding which to buy. This saves the error I used to make where I'd buy a book that was recommended to me or sounded really good, and it turned out to be a dud.
Ray

Author: ncharge Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867812 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/5/2012 3:45 PM
I do think some of the pricing is crazy. I have bought a couple of paperbacks just because the kindle was priced more than the book! I note that Amazon sometimes posts a notice that the price was set by the publisher and not Amazon. (Must be tired of the complaints.)

Anyway, I also donated some books that I didn't replace, but that I see are available in Kindle. All of the old Rex Stout novels are finally available on Kindle. So, if I want to reread my old favorites, I know they are there but they don't have to be physically there in the house. I actually did check all the books as I decluttered and only donated the ones I knew I could replace. And I check the free books, too, since the Kindle can handle those.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868130 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/15/2012 1:10 AM
With respect to the OP, how's the comparison to the local library and borrowing the book?

Also, couldn't you read the book on a laptop -- a laptop which might also be used for many other things? (I'm not sure what the prices of netbooks are, but wouldn't those do the same thing for less? Granted they might not be as "slick" as a Kindle, but....)

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868131 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/15/2012 1:13 AM
And if you like audiobooks, there's always the free: librivox.org

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868136 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/15/2012 12:12 PM
With respect to the OP, how's the comparison to the local library and borrowing the book?

Also, couldn't you read the book on a laptop -- a laptop which might also be used for many other things? (I'm not sure what the prices of netbooks are, but wouldn't those do the same thing for less? Granted they might not be as "slick" as a Kindle, but....)

As someone who doesn't didn't use a public library before, that would be a false comparison for me. Since I'm now using the library for e-books, yes a person could buy a Kindle for $69 and then read nothing but library books. Also for us, the Denver Public Library is available for all state residents. With an e-book reader someone who lives hours away in a town with a population of 150 could still get DPL library books instantly.

Second, it's not comparable to a laptop (which I own.) Can you fit your laptop into your purse? Can you easily read on your laptop while in the doctor's waiting room? Does your laptop make it easy to read with one hand while rocking your son to sleep or standing upright while riding the train? Does your laptop have a battery life counted in months? Does your laptop not cause any eye-strain because it's an e-ink screen and not an LCD? Can you get a laptop for $69-$179 (depending on model)? The answer to all of those are no. It's still "no" for a netbook (and I can't stand using them, we use them at work for credit card processing, and they annoy me to no end). They simply aren't comparable devices. A laptop is to replace a desktop computer, a e-book reader is to replace paper books.

Would I recommend a Kindle to someone who reads 1-2 books a year? No. Would I recommend a Kindle to someone who reads 1-2 books a week? Yes. Saying "well a laptop/netbook would do more" is similar to telling someone who is serious about photography "I don't know why you bought a digital camera, you could get an iPhone and it can do more".

Lara Amber

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868138 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/15/2012 1:22 PM

My sister and her husband read books on their laptop and iPad. They're long past the baby-raising stage, and have just reached the grandchild stage. They do a lot of traveling, and a lot of motorcycling. They use ebooks to cut down on the amount of stuff they carry with them. So yes, for some people the laptop works as well as, or better than, the Kindle. It really depends on an individual's needs.

Nancy

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868304 of 881725
Subject: Re: Why Yes, My Kindle Does Save Me Money Date: 10/19/2012 12:46 PM
I've gotten some comments from people in Real Life about my Kindle being a "luxury"…

Purchasing books is no less a luxury.

Except for textbooks, I rarely buy new books. I either borrow them from the library, or buy them used (and resell them when I'm done).

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement