UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joelinda1 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2601  
Subject: Wi-LAN Date: 10/30/1999 9:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
FrozenCanuck, have you heard of this company which just got listed on the TSE (trades on the ASE as well)? On the TSE it trades under the symbol WIN. This stock has nearly doubled in 3 days, I suspect related to increased liquidity on the TSE.

IFindKarma linked me to this excellent board. I apologize if this stock has been dealt with before. I used to follow all of your posts as well as those on Rat's board, but I've been away for a bit and haven't been able to catch up.

From their website:

www.wi-lan.com

Wi-LAN (www.wi-lan.com) was incorporated in 1992, and became a public company in March 1998. In June 1999, Wi-LAN launched I.WiLLä, an access point with transfer speeds of 30 Mbps using Wi-LAN's patented W-OFDM technology. Wi-LAN's Hopper Plus wireless Ethernet bridges and Hopperä wireless modems have been sold in 50 countries on six continents.

Wi-LAN is championing the broadband arena with two exciting developments in wireless technologies. Wide-band Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (W-OFDM - US patent #5,282,222) technology allows a wide-band comprised of tightly packed multiple radio frequency transmissions that occur simultaneously, greatly increasing a system's data carrying capacity. Multicode Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (MCDSSS - US patent #5,555,268) makes it possible to multiply the carrying capacity of traditional spread spectrum systems by as much as ten times.

OFDM is at the foundation of the IEEE 802.11a standard, which was passed in September 1999. After submitting an intellectual property (IP) statement to the IEEE,

Wi-LAN offered to license its patented W-OFDM technology based on this standard. Wi-LAN recently licensed its patented W-OFDM technology to Philips Semiconductors, allowing them to develop, modify, make, and sell W-OFDM application specific integrated circuits for the emerging IEEE802.11a standard.

Wi-LAN recently announced it had filed an IP statement with the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) offering to make Wi-LAN's MCDSSS patented technology available for licensing on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms. The IP statement targets the ITU's International Mobile Telecommunications IMT-2000 standard, which is the foundation for third generation (3G) mobile radio networks, including cellular phones.

Also, this link:

http://www.wi-lan.com/news/press/press64.html

Any thoughts on this company?

Linda

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement