Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 111
WIERD :o)

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

(stolen from UK board)
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Wow! I could read that whole thing without skipping a beat! Maybe there's some truth to it.

Mary
(Goes bonkers over misuse of "its", "it's", "lie," "lay." Also has hopelessly dyslexic DH, DD, and DS. Very aware of visual perception issues, but never saw this news before.)
No. of Recommendations: 62

That made more sense than most of the Colonel's posts.

(Just kidding)

Neil
No. of Recommendations: 0
My pet peeve, is a lot as one word. It is always two.
My DW's is when mischievous when pronounced mischevEous.

Cib
No. of Recommendations: 1
(Goes bonkers over misuse of "its", "it's", "lie," "lay."

Mine are "you're/your" and "their/there/they're"

Erik (your dead)
No. of Recommendations: 12
<<That made more sense than most of the Colonel's posts.

>>

All kidding aside, I have to agree. When he makes a post, I click on it and if it's in that cajun accent, I skip it...too much time and trouble to figure out...and I lived down in that area for 4 years....still can't decipher his posts though.

Kathy
No. of Recommendations: 3
Goes bonkers over misuse of "its", "it's", "lie," "lay."

I teach college, and every time I give a writing assignment, I receive plenty of these--along with its'.

My pet peeve, is a lot as one word.

Mine are "you're/your" and "their/there/they're"

Yep, every time.

Each time I read what the students write I think that I should of known better than to give another writing assingment. Sometimes, just when I think the students have gone to far, I get a good one though. One time a women in one of my classes wrote that it was a doggy dog world. I was going to draw her attention to it, but its' really a mute point. The students seem to think that "their" and "there" are one in the same. What am I suppose to do?

SirTas
I am sprisured the Bitsirh flanily itenvend shitmoneg taht
alutcaly wkors as camelid.

~aj
No. of Recommendations: 7
"What am I suppose to do?"

For beginners, you could change "I should of known better" to "I should have known better" ;-)

~aj
Each time I read what the students write I think that I should of known better than to give another writing assingment. Sometimes, just when I think the students have gone to far, I get a good one though. One time a women in one of my classes wrote that it was a doggy dog world. I was going to draw her attention to it, but its' really a mute point. The students seem to think that "their" and "there" are one in the same. What am I suppose to do?

Don't you mean a mut point?
All kidding aside, I have to agree. When he makes a post, I click on it and if it's in that cajun accent, I skip it...too much time and trouble to figure out...and I lived down in that area for 4 years....still can't decipher his posts though.

Maybe we could understand him better if he wouldn't change the first and last letter of each word.

rj
No. of Recommendations: 4
Then I'm wondering if peins, piens, pnies, pines are ok on this board?

bub

Please tell me "your" just joking here...

Erik ;-)
I was going to draw her attention to it, but its' really a mute point. What am I suppose to do?

Or moot? Or mutt

Bob

Great Dad pun!

Here's another one: we were going camping up in northern Minnesota, the middle of friggin nowhere. My dad said he would call my Mom when we get up there. She said, how can you? There are no phones there. He said, we'll call from a tree phone. It's a branch of ATT.

Erik
He said, we'll call from a tree phone. It's a branch of ATT.

Pineing for home, huh?

Bob

Don't you mean a
mut point?
-----------------

MOOT!

-sheesh
Rich
MOOT!
-sheesh
Rich

----------

Damn! Hook, line & sinker!

fishworlds
No. of Recommendations: 5
You asked, ""What am I suppose to do?"

As Chief Engineer it was my privilege to review technical reports and capital expenditure requests submitted by some of our younger engineers. When something like that hit my desk, the defication struck the ventilating unit. The offender was often seen late at night with a large dictionary on his desk. By the way, the secretaries knew better than to help them. After a while they learned.

DeOleGrouchColonelCAF
You said, "He said, we'll call from a tree phone. It's a branch of ATT."

I saw one of those phones on the corner of Twigg Street and Oak Lane.

DeKernal
Or if you ask the folks from Friends, it's a Moo point, because nobody cares what a cow thinks. It's Moo.

-Ben
...nobody cares what a cow thinks. It's Moo.

As in the well-known Zen koan:

Q: Does a cow have Buddha-nature?
A: Moo!

SolarCat
seeing if we can get any farther afield

(BTW, some of those who have jumped in on this thread would definitely enjoy the Words, Words, Words board at http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=115610.)
No. of Recommendations: 9
I'll have a go at this one...

Each time I read what the students write (missing comma) I think that I should of (s/b "have") known better than to give another writing assingment. Sometimes, just when I think the students have gone to (s/b "too") far, I get a good one though. One time a women in one of my classes wrote that it was a doggy dog world. I was going to draw her attention to it, but its' really a mute (s/b "moot") point. The students seem to think that "their" and "there" are one in (s/b "and") the same. What am I suppose (s/b "supposed") to do?

Was this a test?

Draggon
You said, "He said, we'll call from a tree phone. It's a branch of ATT."

I saw one of those phones on the corner of Twigg Street and Oak Lane.

DeKernal

Was that in Mapleton, Ashville, Oak Run, Elmore, Woodlawn, or where?
These are just a few in Illinois
Rich
the defication struck the ventilating unit.

You should of :-) used a spell checker.
Then I'm wondering if peins, piens, pnies, pines are ok on this board?

"Schlong" seems to get through OK.
He said, we'll call from a tree phone. It's a branch of ATT.

I wood think you'd know you're going too far. I oak you don't make an ash of yourself.

My pet peeve, is a lot as one word. It is always two.
My DW's is when mischievous when pronounced mischevEous

and some people just go through the day, looking for something to be pissed off about.

and some people just go through the day, looking for something to be pissed off about.

Hey, are you trying to piss that guy off or what? ;)

Draggon

Hey, are you trying to piss that guy off or what? ;)

All this pissin stuff is pissin me off.

Moon
( Only word the kids got right is dissin, it just sounds so much better. )
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy

I've seen this posted in several places, always with the same "misspelling." Even with the jumbled letters, it still stands out. Did anyone else catch it (in the quoted part above), or is it just my editorial background showing through?

Did anyone else catch it (in the quoted part above), or is it just my editorial background showing through?

Probably the latter. At least I didn't notice it until you pointed it out:

rscheearch

Extra c, extra h.

Jan
Advertisement