Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Wife and I live in seperate states(me GA, her NY), we are graduate students. Im trying to figure out our taxes. We are filing jointly
for federal, but we need to file 2 states. My wife was a part year resident of GA then moved to NYC to do her internship. Im
wondering who we deal with the AGI from our federal (combined income) for each state.

I hope one of you is studying math, because you're going to be doing a lot of it. You'll have to check the instructions for both
states to see what your options, if any, are, and then do the calculations to see how you should file. Every state is free to make its
own rules about your situation.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

yeah. this sounds like fun!... oh well. being an EE is close enough. I am deciding for GA ( havent looked at NY yet. ) that I will treat us as 1 person for calculating the % instate income using married jointly. figure thats what ill have to do for NY as well.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.