UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: EricTaller Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 410  
Subject: Wilderness Lodge the Best? Date: 3/11/2005 1:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It seems from a previous post, where I asked about the Animal Kingdom lodge, that the Wilderness Lodge is a special place to stay.

Does anyone disagree, or would you suggest to stay at one of the other places for any reason?

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge »
Disney's Beach Club Resort »
Disney's Boardwalk Inn »
Disney's Contemporary Resort »
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa »
Disney's Polynesian Resort »
Disney's Wilderness Lodge »
Disney's Yacht Club Resort »
Walt Disney World Dolphin »
Walt Disney World Swan »
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort »
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort »
Disney's Port Orleans Resort French Quarter »
Disney's Port Orleans Resort Riverside »
Disney's Pop Century Resort »
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort »
Disney's All-Star Music Resort »
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort »
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa »
Disney's Beach Club Villas »
Disney's BoardWalk Villas »
Disney's Old Key West Resort »
The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge »
Print the post Back To Top
Author: hockeymomof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 87 of 410
Subject: Re: Wilderness Lodge the Best? Date: 3/11/2005 3:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Does anyone disagree, or would you suggest to stay at one of the other places for any reason?

I'd put Wilderness lodge in the 'nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to stay there' camp. DH loves the buffalo steak at Artist Point so we end up there at least once per visit for dinner. While we enjoy the ambience, it is with relief that we return to the Poly.

From what we hear, the rooms are small. The resort was conceived as a moderate - then was so successful it was made a deluxe. I don't think any of the rooms provide much of a view...of anything. The pool is quite small.

And to get somewhere from there can entail quite a long wait. The bus system is abysmal - as it is throughout the property. There are often long lines for the infrequent boats to the contemporary and the MK. Often after dinner we must wait for several boats before we are allowed to board one...and then we'll grab whatever we can!

For us, you just can't beat the views and convenience of the Poly. A short walk to the TTC gets you a monorail to either Epcot or the MK. That takes care of 90% of our park time. Our rooms are nice sized and we have a nice beach to walk along. The pool area is awesome and if it's crowded, there's a second pool available. We can rent watercraft. There is a resort boat direct to the Magic Kingdom.

In over 40 visits to 'the world' we've only stayed anywhere else a couple times and those were our very first visits. Once we found the Poly, we saw no need to look further. We also love Hawaii and find the Poly to be a similar experience without the long flight!

Teri

Author: dmcostello Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 88 of 410
Subject: Re: Wilderness Lodge the Best? Date: 3/11/2005 3:57 PM
From what we hear, the rooms are small. The resort was conceived as a moderate - then was so successful it was made a deluxe. I don't think any of the rooms provide much of a view...of anything. The pool is quite small.

I never heard that it was conceived as a moderate, it must have been before they actually built it. It is much nicer than every other moderate out there. At all the moderates you enter your room directly from the outside, at the WL you enter from an inside hallway. Do any moderates have three classes of restaraunts like the WL? Also, every room has a balcony, no moderate room has one. The WL is much closer to the other deluxes than any moderate.

We've had good luck with views. With a courtyard view we looked at the pool and to the lake beyond. At night we watched the lighted parade that goes across the water from out room.

I agree about the pool, it is too small. It is nice, but it gets crowded.

And to get somewhere from there can entail quite a long wait. The bus system is abysmal - as it is throughout the property. There are often long lines for the infrequent boats to the contemporary and the MK. Often after dinner we must wait for several boats before we are allowed to board one...and then we'll grab whatever we can!

I haven't used the bus system that much, when we have it was quite timely. No problems at all, but we usually have a car so I could have just been lucky. However, our experiences with the boats were totally different from what you describe. We have never had much of a wait. The one time we had to wait was when we left from the MK right after the fireworks (big mistake).

For us, you just can't beat the views and convenience of the Poly. A short walk to the TTC gets you a monorail to either Epcot or the MK. That takes care of 90% of our park time.

I'd love to try the Poly. Next December I may get a room there for a couple of nights.

It is funny how people can have such different opinions about resorts. Everyone has their favorites. Luckilly WDW has so many different ones that there is one for every taste.

Author: hiwave Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89 of 410
Subject: Re: Wilderness Lodge the Best? Date: 3/11/2005 4:07 PM
Recommendations: 3
Eric,

One of the great things about Disney World is that there is such a large selection of resorts to choose from and you are bound to find some that really click with you. It's really a matter of personal preference. I'll give you my take on them.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge » I have never stayed here before. It's supposed to be very nice. One of my co-workers stayed here and loved it. The nice thing about it is the animals that you can see. The draw back about is that is far away from the MK and you need to take buses to all the parks.

Disney's Beach Club Resort » We have stayed here once. It was very nice. We would stay here again. The great part about this resort is the pool it shares with the Yacht Club. It is huge and really fun. Definitely the best resort pool in Disney World. The other nice thing is that you can walk to Epcot and take a boat to MGM. Some drawbacks of the resort is that it is a far way to the MK. Also, it can be a long walk to your room. Another drawback can be the bus service. The buses stop at all the Epcot resorts (Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan & Dolphin) which can take a while. Another drawback is that we like to have a food court type place and this resort doesn't really have one.

Disney's Boardwalk Inn » We have stayed here also. We liked this one also. The positives and negatives are like the Beach Club. It doesn't share the same pool but it does have a nice pool. Our DD loves the clown slide here.

Disney's Contemporary Resort » We have stayed here also. I've stayed in the garden wings, I haven't stayed in the tower. We love Chef Mickey's here. We eat there for our first meal whenever we go to Disney. It's very nice to have the monorail to go to the MK. They have a nice food court here and the gameroom is great. The theming isn't as much as the other resorts. Also, the pool isn't that great, although, I think they are changing that.

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa » We haven't stayed here. We have eaten here a few times. It is a very nice resort. It is a litte too formal for our tastes. It doesn't seem as kid friendly as the other resorts.

Disney's Polynesian Resort » We have stayed here. I wasn't blown away by this one. I think it is a preference thing. I just am not into the Polynesian theme. Also, it didn't have restaurants that we liked that much. The view is great. The monorail is also great for the MK.

Disney's Wilderness Lodge » You know how I love this one :)

Disney's Yacht Club Resort » We haven't stayed here. It is the sister property for the Beach Club. Everything for the Beach Club applies to this one.

Walt Disney World Dolphin » We haven't stayed here.

Walt Disney World Swan » We have stayed here. It was more like a normal hotel than a Disney hotel because it is owned by someone else. The location is good for Epcot and MGM. The same thing for location applies at it does for the Yacht Club, Beach Club and Boardwalk.

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort » Never been there.

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort » Never been there.

Disney's Port Orleans Resort French Quarter » We haven't stayed in this section but we did stay in the Riverside section.

Disney's Port Orleans Resort Riverside » We have stayed here. We really liked it a lot for a moderate. We liked the food court.

Disney's Pop Century Resort » Never been there.

Disney's All-Star Movies Resort » Never been there.

Disney's All-Star Music Resort » We have stayed here. This is a value resort. It like a motel structure. It was nice for the money and it is on property with the bus service.

Disney's All-Star Sports Resort » Never been there.

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa » We have stayed here. It is nice. If you want to go to Downtown Disney you can't get any better then this place. You have to take a bus everywhere else. DD liked the pool. It's like Old Key West in that it is very spread out.

Disney's Beach Club Villas » We haven't stayed in the Villas. We stayed in the hotel part. See above.

Disney's BoardWalk Villas » We stayed in the Villas instead of the hotel. See above.

Disney's Old Key West Resort » We have stayed here. It was ok. The size of the rooms are great. You have to take a bus everywhere you want to go. The buildings are very spread out and that's a problem if it is raining like cats and dogs like it was when we went.

The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge » We have stayed here. This is our home resort for the Disney Vacation Club. We love it.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

Wave

Author: hiwave Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90 of 410
Subject: Re: Wilderness Lodge the Best? Date: 3/11/2005 4:17 PM

I haven't used the bus system that much, when we have it was quite timely. No problems at all, but we usually have a car so I could have just been lucky. However, our experiences with the boats were totally different from what you describe. We have never had much of a wait. The one time we had to wait was when we left from the MK right after the fireworks (big mistake).

I have used the bus system a lot from the WL. It's not any different than any of the other resorts when you have to take a bus. It's the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get there right when one is arriving, other times you have just missed one and you have to wait 20 minutes. And actually it might be a little better because you don't have to share the bus with more than one resort (Fort Wilderness on some routes and Grand Floridian on some other routes). At some of the other resorts you have to share it with 2, 3 or 4 resorts at a time. As far as the boat goes, I think it is great. You definitely don't have to wait as long for a boat as you do for a bus. At the peek times they have 3 boats running between the MK, WL and Fort Wilderness. Now as dmcostello said, you don't want to catch the boat right after the fireworks. You will be waiting a long time. Either you leave before the fireworks or you hang out in the park and have a dessert or shop for 30-45 minutes to let the crowd go down.

Wave

Author: EricTaller Big funky green star, 20000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 91 of 410
Subject: Re: Wilderness Lodge the Best? Date: 3/11/2005 4:36 PM
Well done! Thank you for taking the time to type all that information!

Very much appreciated.

Author: DVCIS4ME Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92 of 410
Subject: Re: Wilderness Lodge the Best? Date: 3/12/2005 8:29 AM
Recommendations: 1
Either you leave before the fireworks or you hang out in the park and have a dessert or shop for 30-45 minutes to let the crowd go down.

We go to Casey's Corner at closing and grab a beverage everytime we go to the MK as it is a nice way to wind down the day while letting the crowds thin out.

I'm also going to let everyone in on a secret; Disney does a special "Good Bye" at the end of the day after most of the guests have left. I don't want to spoil it so that's all I'll say, but next time you're there grab a seat where you can see the front of Cinderella's Castle and relax awhile.

Walt

Author: DVCIS4ME Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93 of 410
Subject: Re: Wilderness Lodge the Best? Date: 3/12/2005 8:45 AM
Disney's Port Orleans Resort French Quarter » We've stay there and the resort does a good job of giving the feeling of being in New Orleans. The rooms are your standard hotel size and you have both bus and boat transportation to Downtown Disney. The best thing was the breakfast at the Boatwright which has banana stuffed french toast. Yummm!

Disney's Old Key West Resort>> Stayed here also and it is the most laid back of the Disney resorts. Transportation was good and there are boats and buses to Downtown Disney. This is a must for any Parrot Heads as they play Jimmy Buffet songs as background music and you feel like you're in the Keys.

Walt

Author: dmcostello Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102 of 410
Subject: Re: Wilderness Lodge the Best? Date: 3/13/2005 9:55 AM
I'll fill in a couple that I've been to.

Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort » Never been there.

I like this one a lot. It has an island theme, there are sandy beaches to sit at (but not swim) with hammocks sprinkled around. There is a place to rent bikes to ride around the long paths and boats to be used on the large lake. In the middle of the lake is an little island connected by bridges from which you can feed the fish and birds. There is a main pool and many smaller pools that we didn't get to use because we went in January. The location of the resort is good, it is very close to Epcot, the Boardwalk and MGM. The only real downside is that the place is large and spread out. If you are at one of the far away buildings, you'll have a long walk to the main pool and the food places.

Disney's Port Orleans Resort French Quarter » We haven't stayed in this section but we did stay in the Riverside section.

I also like this resort a lot, it is my favorite moderate. Port Orleans is themed to look like New Orleans. It is on the small so you are never a long walk from the restaraunts and pool. The pool is very nice for a moderate, it has a cool slide. There are boats to take you to and from downtown Disney.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement