Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: schvitzing Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 252  
Subject: Re: Getting into public accounting Date: 8/4/2007 8:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
will be graduating soon with an accounting degree from an online school. I am a non-traditional student, going into accounting after teaching in the public schools for 15 years. Since I won't really have the normal avenues for getting my foot in the door that a traditional student would (on campus job fairs, recruiting, etc.) I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on how to approach prospetive employers. Since I'm still teaching, I would be able to do the summer interships that traditional students do. Do I just call HR at the different firms and ask about it?

I see that you're in Iowa. So, start here, at the Iowa Society of CPAs website.
http://www.iacpa.org/
Click on the "STUDENTS" link, and you'll see two relevant links: INTERNSHIPS and START HERE GO PLACES. The first takes you to a list of firms that are, at least, hiring interns [maybe f/t staff, too]; the second appears to be a commercial site, but the state society appears to have vetted it.

Monster.com is a waste of time, IMO, but the state society is a serious source.

Remember that you are seeking a f/t entry-level professional staff position. You might be able to leverage your years as a teacher by focusing on those firms that have governmental and not-for-profit clients. In other words, you can say that you've seen the client side of the business, even if not in accounting.

Good luck.

Schvitz
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement