Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Will you rhusband lose his US residency while studying in your home country?
What if your husband were to set up a foreign trust; you then transfer your assets to that foreign trust which is in turn investing in the US market.

Now if your husband assumes the management of those US investments and you file here in the USA as married filing separately then is it not legitimate for you husband (on a stidents income!) to declare in his home country all the investment income (sans capital gains tax of course) while your us taxes are paid on your US earned income plus any investments you choose to keep state-side.

I think the key here is whether your husband is seen by the IRS as a US Taxpayer or not. If he gives up his residency AND leaves the USA then I don't know for sure that is sufficient for him to cease being seen as a US taxpayer. The beneficiary of the the foreign trust had better not include you though because I think thta would mean that it becomes part of your world wide income.

mmm this is a foggy area. Does any one have a bright light?

jumpin jupiter
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.