Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58635  
Subject: Willpower Date: 10/25/2012 10:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
When we talk about all of the biomechanics of what makes us crave sweets and snacks. We tend to get hung up on all sorts of reasearch. But sometimes we tend to forget that willpower, while it's a bit fickle, and can be weak, it can also be strong. Case in point:

Last night I went to a wire-wrapping class that ran from 6-9 p.m. I had a quick leftover meal of about a cup/cup and a half of spaghetti sauce with ground beef,sliced red and yellow peppers and sliced squash. There was no leftover spaghetti squash, so while it filled me initially, by the time I got home I was really hungry. There were leftover chicken strips in the fridge, but I didn't want all that fat and sodium (not homemade, DH had picked them up on his way home from workout).

So I looked around the kitchen and finally settled on a banana. It filled me up, took care of the sweet craving, and didn't clash with my tea :0)

Got up this morning with no bloat, no guilt, feeling great, and ready to face the day.

LWW
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57350 of 58635
Subject: Re: Willpower Date: 10/25/2012 12:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sometimes it is just a matter of good, old-fashioned willpower--of getting over the hump and not caving into temptation.

Although there are little tricks to make having willpower and getting past the craving a bit more probable. My personal ones are:

1. not to let yourself get too hungry to begin with--i.e., stay ahead of your hunger by having regular meals every few hrs.

2. don't keep the d@mned stuff that tempts you to fall-off-the-wagon (aka 'trigger foods') in the house.

3. focus on eating less refined, less processed foods because they simply are more satisfying to the appetite vs refined, processed which tend to stimulate the appetite.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57352 of 58635
Subject: Re: Willpower Date: 10/25/2012 4:48 PM
1. not to let yourself get too hungry to begin with--i.e., stay ahead of your hunger by having regular meals every few hrs.

2. don't keep the d@mned stuff that tempts you to fall-off-the-wagon (aka 'trigger foods') in the house.

3. focus on eating less refined, less processed foods because they simply are more satisfying to the appetite vs refined, processed which tend to stimulate the appetite.

Great tips! Especially 2. If you don't have it, and you have to make a special trip to get it, it can be much easier to turn it down.

LWW

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57353 of 58635
Subject: Re: Willpower Date: 10/25/2012 5:10 PM
Great tips! Especially 2. If you don't have it, and you have to make a special trip to get it, it can be much easier to turn it down.

Seriously. As obvious as it sounds, just simply not having the cookies right there when you begin to feel the urge for one--which could come on out-of-the-blue--makes such a big difference in having resolve. You have to think--do I really want to drive through traffic, park, wait in line, drive home through more traffic just to cave-in and do something I know I shouldn't even be doing and will regret within an hour?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement