No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,
I live in a nice suburb in Minneapoils area. I bought my house (I am a single woman) 18 months ago. It is a nice place but there are a couple of windows that are rotting from outside (house and the windows are 20 years old). I would like to only fix the things if it is absolutely important. I am not sure for how long I will stay here before I either move into a bigger home or move out of town. So, I would rather not put too much money into home improvements. It will probably cost me about 2K to get these windows fixed. How do I tell if they need to be replaced for sure?

Thanks!!
Print the post Back To Top
<<I would like to only fix the things if it is absolutely important. I am not sure for how long I will stay here before I either move into a bigger home or move out of town. So, I would rather not put too much money into home improvements. It will probably cost me about 2K to get these windows fixed. How do I tell if they need to be replaced for sure?

Thanks!!
>>

Wood often has to be pretty far gone with rot before it needs to be replaced. Perhaps it would be possible to dig out the rotted portions of the wood if it isn't too deep, fill in the area with some kind of caulk or filler and then prime and paint.

Who do you know who is experienced in repairing wood and exterior painting? You need advice on whether this is a reasonable stop gap or whether replacing the windows is really needed.

Seattle Pioneer
It is a nice place but there are a couple of windows that are rotting from outside (house and the windows are 20 years old).

Depending on the amount of "rot", you may not need to replace anything at all. If it is in the sill, a wood hardener and wood filler (and quick repaint) might be enough. Around the edges you might be able to replace just a single board - or not. As I say, "it depends."

Frankly, I would be more concerned in finding out why you are getting rot after only 20 years. The materials around your windows should last far longer than that. Are you getting puddling or improper draining from the sills? If that is the case it is only going to get worse unless you correct the basic problem.
Perhaps it would be possible to dig out the rotted portions of the wood if it isn't too deep, fill in the area with some kind of caulk or filler and then prime and paint.

There are also products available to stabilize and fill rotten wood. One type is an expoxy based product that is injected into the rotten wood.

Most folks on the old house list seem to prefer Bondo (auto body filler), as long as there is something to adhere it to. Dig back to solid wood, bondo it to rebuild the lost part.
Advertisement